When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 036B

swdivad

I have just acquired a PAM 036 from another member in a trade, I'm so glad to have this model back on my wrist (had one about two years ago and regretted selling it).

I am wondering, and have tried to find info to no avail, in regards to the AR... Is this supposed to have AR on the crystal?

Currently, it has the standard faux AR... purple in color, and thinking that there should be no AR at all.

This is a B series model, which is the only year this watch (special edition) came out... As with B series marinas, It has an L dial as well... Overall the watch is one is a fine example :)

I think next, I will have it The Zigmeisterfied :D

img0891resizeae3.jpg

img0893resizetn2.jpg

img0894resizepb3.jpg

img0895resizeyu1.jpg

I am pretty sure that the 036 is an L dial...

It is not an L dial, this I know for a fact :) The prototype model they show in their catalog was an L but all 200 of the ones that were released are all T SWISS T. There are rumors that there MIGHT be a few L SWISS L 036 dials out there but if so, one has never turned up yet.

The rep makes used the official PAM photos of the 036 dial which is incorrect.

Here is a gen 036 that was for sale on Paneristi. I've collected photos of various gen 036s that have come up for sale. All have been T SWISS T.

Panerai_Marina_Militare_a.jpg

Edited by bazonkers

The existence of 'L' dial 036s has been a matter of speculation for some time but AFAIK the only know examples are 'T' dials. It is otherwise true that 'L' dials appeared during the B series but as this is a limited edition of 200 units only it would seem odd that there would be more than one batch of dials.

EDIT: It seems that we both hit the button at the same time and at least we are saying the same thing.

Edited by PAMman

They were produced in T dials, I think one or two may have had the dials replaced by the service centre to 'L' dials - much to the owners disgust! I think our reps have L dials because I believe the original publicity shots had L dials - Panerai often take photos of watches that are incorrect for their catalogues (presumably to deter rep makers?).

Very typical of OP to make mistakes in their brochures. They do not invest in editors.

Definetly no AR on PAM 036, Definetly T dial.

Also note that the same brochure says that the 036 has a OPII movement (which is correct) but the description is of a OP XI movement which came in as a E series (2002).

Movements - OP II

The OP II was from 1997-2001 the standard handwind movement in historic models such as the Luminor Marina.

It features hours, minutes and small seconds indications, and therefore qualifies for a COSC certificate.

It is based on the ETA 6497/2 hand-wind movement.

Its basic characteristics are:

16 1/2 lignes

17 jewels

Bridges personalised by Panerai

Glucydur balance

21,600 VPH

Incabloc shock protection

41 hours power reserve

The OP XI superceded the OP II in 2002.

It is still based on the same ETA 6497/2 hand-wind movement, but now features a swan's neck regulator and completely redesigned bridges. The published power reserve has also increased.

Its basic characteristics are:

16 1/2 lignes

17 jewels

Bridges personalised by Panerai

Glucydur balance with Nivarox spring

21,600 VPH

Incabloc shock protection

56 hours power reserve

OP XI E-series (2002) the power reserve went from 41 hours to 56 hours, and the swan neck regulator arrived. This was major change & upgrade for the movement.

Carpe Dium

Well starting with the 201 A in 1993 all historic pam dials were engraved all the way to the G series (2004). Just the Tritium/lume filling technique was different. The Pre-Vs had a very thin coating of Tritium on the inside of the engraving and then filled with varnish. The pre-As had more tritium but still concave. The As were right below the edge of the engraving to right at the edge. Starting with B dials all the way up to G dials is what are called the panited/some times sausage dials as the Tritium/lume was filled all the way to overflow, hence the domed/sausage look.

PAM 036 is an early B so it has the domed Tritium.

Carpe Diem