When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about CG mod.

kenofstephen

Who really cares about the geometry to the Nth degree.

Even Rolex crown guards vary. So you're trying to hit a moving target. Since you're pretty good w/ the computer, why don't you take some pics of gens and show us.

But always keep in mind, a rep is always a rep. You can make it look better and closer to the gen, but it's still a rep. What you're really trying to do w/ the cg's is make them look as close to the gen as possible. A few years ago they would surround the crown, so to speak. And it was a dead giveaway that your watch was a rep. These days they're much better and only require a little bit of trimming on the inside to get them close to the gen. I recommend you read Gioarmani's post at the top of this section and get to work modding your cg's. It's really pretty simple and your biggest liability is screwing up the keyless works when you pull the crown/stem from the movement. Good luck.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I agree completely... There are so many people out there doing CG mods that someone should be able to answer these questions. I have a gen 16610 that I would be willing to take in to my watchsmith and have him make the measurements. Im just not sure how accurate he would be able to get in such a small detail.

I have typically thought that every gen rolex Ive seen had slightly different CG shapes. So getting them perfect, really isnt so complicated.

If we measured any gen Sub with a caliper....the very top and the very bottom. The idea would not be to have exacting 100% measurement but instead something to shoot for....an idea as to how thick the top is in comparision to the bottom would allow a better idea of what a gen should look like. Anything is better than having no measurements at all to go by!

Even Rolex crown guards vary. So you're trying to hit a moving target. Since you're pretty good w/ the computer, why don't you take some pics of gens and show us.

But always keep in mind, a rep is always a rep. You can make it look better and closer to the gen, but it's still a rep. What you're really trying to do w/ the cg's is make them look as close to the gen as possible. A few years ago they would surround the crown, so to speak. And it was a dead giveaway that your watch was a rep. These days they're much better and only require a little bit of trimming on the inside to get them close to the gen. I recommend you read Gioarmani's post at the top of this section and get to work modding your cg's. It's really pretty simple and your biggest liability is screwing up the keyless works when you pull the crown/stem from the movement. Good luck.

if I didn't read it, where did I get the picture?? <_<

if you really enjoy the game, you'll care about it.

certainly you don't at the moment.

Regards,

KOS.

Alligoat is exactly correct. Peruse the Rolex forums on Timezone.com or the photo collections on Antiquorum.com & use those as your reference. The trimming required depends on which rep you have, which watch you use as a reference & the look you are after. It is not science.

even for diff. reps,

the goal is approximately the same, isn't it? ;)

I think there is only 1 single goal.

what's perfect?

what's 1:1?

what's imperfect?

what's almost the same...

I think in this world with Physics regarding questions on dimensions, lengths, angles, thicknesses, etc..,

we should have standard numerical answers to all of these questions.

Regards,

KOS.

Hi Ken, I have a GEN SUB TT circa 2000, if the measurement of that would work for you, I can do it! Let me know!

Here is a tiny sampling of gen Subs from several gigabytes worth of Rolex images I have archived on my hard drive. Now which of these is the 'correct' one

5xrolexkroon1.jpg

As Alligoat was trying to explain, there are so many variations on the gens themselves (due to design variations, polishing, wear, etc.) that you are trying to measure an 'ideal' that just does not exist beyond a Rolex engineer's drawing board or CAD file. More importantly, no one, not even a watchmaker is going to gauge the legitimacy of your watch by the angle of deflection from 0 degrees of your CGs. Just select a gen to use as a reference & model yours after that.