When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Dial Printing - What is Needed

cskent69

OK. Per a recent post from Lello.....

"I just spoke yesterday to my printer about this issue.

He answered that he is not willing to make dials from scratch, but he won't have any problem to re print existent dials, even with names and logos."

SO - here is the project at hand.

1. Can we get appropriate blanks (and in what form - i.e. black background, or CNC'ed brass, etc?) from any of the dealers. This is particularly interesting if DSN is willing to supply good layered blanks - not sure if he does that. Obviously he is in business as well of course. Alternatively, if we purchase a Rep from DSN or otherwise, could we send that dial to get "re-dialed".

2. What files (in what form) does Lello need to recieve art - such that his printer can make a proper dial.

Obviously, these are questions for Lello but other members - please weigh in. We should probably attempt this on a fairly simple dial that all of us would agree we would want - so that there is enough interest to have Lello put effort into it. 111 or an 01 dial for instance.

I will PM Lello with new thread.

Thoughts?

OK. Per a recent post from Lello.....

"I just spoke yesterday to my printer about this issue.

He answered that he is not willing to make dials from scratch, but he won't have any problem to re print existent dials, even with names and logos."

SO - here is the project at hand.

1. Can we get appropriate blanks (and in what form - i.e. black background, or CNC'ed brass, etc?) from any of the dealers. This is particularly interesting if DSN is willing to supply good layered blanks - not sure if he does that. Obviously he is in business as well of course. Alternatively, if we purchase a Rep from DSN or otherwise, could we send that dial to get "re-dialed".

2. What files (in what form) does Lello need to recieve art - such that his printer can make a proper dial.

Obviously, these are questions for Lello but other members - please weigh in. We should probably attempt this on a fairly simple dial that all of us would agree we would want - so that there is enough interest to have Lello put effort into it. 111 or an 01 dial for instance.

I will PM Lello with new thread.

Thoughts?

You opened this thread and this is fine for me, really. :)

Although I would have waited to see the first dial totally re printed, which I will receive early this coming week, along with the new DWs runs.

Didn't want to advertise yet about this possible chance to re print dials, until I will be 100% sure about the quality...

But as the secret is now revealed, I will answer to your questions:

- 1) Blank dials can be even raw brass, or already painted, or whatever..., this doesn't make big difference.

The best situation would be actually having the dial which comes on the rep, delete everything and re print it totally with correct fonts, proportions etc..., plus superlume of course.

Not always this will be possible, as i.e. some of the vintage Pam dials, have engraved numerals to be filled by superluminova and sometimes also covered by transparent varnish.

In these particular cases, as my printer is not willing to produce dials from scratch (for legal reasons), we would need to source them somewhere.

Actually i'm not 100% sure that he will be willing to print brand names and logos, on blank dials...

But I'm confident that especially if they won't be many, I could persuade him to do it.

He is an authorized printer, who has the formal permission from all the watch companies, to re print their names to "re generate" genuine dials.

Factories from Switzerland call him directly when they need to re print dials, as they sometimes collect returns or dials to restore from big dealers.

- 2) Files would be perfect in Cad format, but of course, any graphic file would be also good, if very well made.

The good news is that my printer, already have many cad files, or clich

I would love to be proved wrong, as I don't think we'll ever get them perfect.

Please prove me wrong.

I can't hide that deep inside myself, I also have the same worry....

This long waiting to see the first dial totally reprinted, makes me feel a bit nervous.

You have to know that this guy is VERY VERY busy all the time.

He has several employed people working for him (around 15), but the thing is that I definitely want him personally working on my dials, as the last time one of the employers put her hands on my dials, she didn't make a good job (maybe he is paying too low salaries B) .

I couldn't believe it when he told me that they have an average of 100 dials per day to re generate!... :blink:

Now this guy went to Switzerland for a few days (I was informed today about it and I'm not sure he finished the two dials he should...

I will find out tomorrow morning.

Some of our dealers may be able to get necessary files from the rep factory, then all we need to do is correct dial imperfections, like notorious letter " A ", font spacing etc. Who has good relationship with our dealers? Please ask if they can source the files or anything at all to get this project started. Also, do any of you know CAD well?

Edited by mil_sub