When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does my Asia 7750 (28800) need servicing?

mjmurphy926

I have a slight problem with the chrono reset function on my Omega SMP chrono.

When the chrono runs for a short time (less than 1 1/2 hours) and is stopped then reset, the reset works well.

When it is run for 1 1/2 hours and is stopped, the reset button must be pushed rather hard to get it to reset.

When the chrono is run longer than 1 1/2 hours (I tested at 3 hours) and stopped, if the reset is pushed with normal pressure, it resets to the 1 1/2 hour mark and needs to be pushed harder to get it to reset to 0.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a fix? I hope all I need is to have the movement serviced.

I have 2 other watches with this movement that don't act like this.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mjmurphy926

Although the 7750 movements have improved over the last couple of years, that doesn't mean thay are clean and properly oiled. So I always figure a servicing in the equation if I like the watch. You might be able to get someone to work on the reset feature, but then you really haven't gotten to the root of the problem- you're just buying a little time. It's all a question of how long you want the watch to last. And a good servicing runs around $200 to do it properly.

From your description I would guess your referring to the 12 hour subdial timer as being the one that is hard to reset, or sticks at 1.5 hours...

If this is the case, consider the design of the 12 hour counter and how it resets. Basically when you push, your moving a lever that presses on a "Heart" shaped cam, the cam has a flat spot (the reset position) and it has two lobes (one for each side of 6 when the hand moves around).

If the 12 hour gear has any friction on it (for whatever reason) the pressure you need to get the cam to move to the reset position is higher, as the time advances, your pressing on a thicker part of the hear shaped lobe, the gear has to move further to the reset position, and therefore feel more resistance.

Not meaning it needs to be serviced, it's just got a defect that can be corrected during service.

RG

From your description I would guess your referring to the 12 hour subdial timer as being the one that is hard to reset, or sticks at 1.5 hours...

If this is the case, consider the design of the 12 hour counter and how it resets. Basically when you push, your moving a lever that presses on a "Heart" shaped cam, the cam has a flat spot (the reset position) and it has two lobes (one for each side of 6 when the hand moves around).

If the 12 hour gear has any friction on it (for whatever reason) the pressure you need to get the cam to move to the reset position is higher, as the time advances, your pressing on a thicker part of the hear shaped lobe, the gear has to move further to the reset position, and therefore feel more resistance.

Not meaning it needs to be serviced, it's just got a defect that can be corrected during service.

RG

I was hoping you'd reply to this The Zigmeister. I've read tons of posts about work you have done and I'm very impressed.

I am waiting for a ETA 7750 date wheel that I want to swap in. Once I receive it, would you be willing to do the work (service and repair the movement and install the DW)?

Can I PM you when I'm ready?

Thanks,

Mike