When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Super Seadweller - problem, issue, or nothing?

whatlimits

Need your expertise here guys...

I am looking to pick up this Rolex SSD - you all know the watch, Swiss ETA and all.

However, according to the seller, this is whats going on: When you screw in the crown, the movement winds or atleast he feels some sort of a winding. PLUS, the crown and the tube needs to be aligned in order for the crown to get screwd in. A bit hard to explain, but in plain simple terms; you have to put a crown in a certain position, then push in and screw it in.

Otherwise the watch keeps perfect time and all.

NOWWW...

Do you think there is a potentially serious problem going on here or its a minor issue - maybe some of the SSD owners can chime in, if you experience the same with your watch. An easy fix maybe or?

Oh, and the watch originally came from Puretime.

I'd appreciate all and any comments to help me decide buying this...

Thank you all... :)

It's really not a big deal. I've got a few watches that keep winding as I screw down the crown. It just means that the stem is still winding the movement- I'm not sure if you need to screw the stem into the crown more or unscrew it out of the crown a little- a watchmaker would know. The crown alignment w/ the tube may be a result of the movement moving slightly in the case. Take off the case back, realign the movement/stem/crown, retighten the hold down tabs and close her back up.

Why not just buy a nice and new SSD? Its less than 300 bucks and you dont need to worry about any major issue. Even if its half price why look for a headache? For less than $300 the SSD is worth every penny and more.

I could buy new, but I am getting a decent price for this one... around 150

so was thinking if its not a huge concern than i should just go for it...

anyone? worth buying at that price or...

Guest carlsbadrolex

For $150 buy it... I may even have a stem that you can have. I have a spare SSD that is being used for parts. The movement is inop but the stem should be good.

Guest carlsbadrolex

The parts I offered will be on their way tomorrow. Shocking to find out you live two blocks from my high school sweetheart. I could tell you some interesting stories about the Wedgewood Golf Course and what happens there on dark summer nights!

quote =

When you screw in the crown, the movement winds or atleast he feels some sort of a winding. PLUS, the crown and the tube needs to be aligned in order for the crown to get screwd in.

Do you think there is a potentially serious problem going on here or its a minor issue -

/quote

Two things can cause the watch to wind while screwing the crown in:

1...The stem is too short and the crown does not move enough to disengage the crown clutch before screwing the crown down.

2...The crown is defective or badly designed.

The main problem with a watch winding while screwing the crown down is that the stem will be turning inside the watch with the spring tension from the crown pushing on it, causing wear to the stem and main plate. (stems are cheap and easy to change, main plates are not)

When you look at a stem, you will see the point on the end...this is the "pilot" and it guides the stem into position inside the watch and gives support for the stem, keeping it lined up inside the movement.

Just back from the pilot is the larger square section that rests against the main plate when the stem bottoms out from crown spring pressure.

This flat section is not meant to turn against the main plate when screwing the crown down...the plate and stem are not designed for this. The tension caused by the spring in the screw down crown will eventually wear the main plate where the square section contacts the plate.

What to do?

1...Lubricate the stem with watch grease and forget about it.

2...Replace the stem and/or crown.

3...Do not manually wind or set the watch very much.

4...Do what I do...option 1. :p

Why are manual wind watches with non screw down crowns not bothered by this?

Because there is no crown spring pressure on the stem.

If a manual wind watch with a defective screw down crown is wound daily for many years, it might be a problem. Automatics are not nearly as bad. (see option 1 above)

Case tube and crown thread problems are another matter.

1...With the crown unscrewed and the threads exposed...clean the threads with an old toothbrush.

2...Lubricate the threads with silicon grease.

3...Be careful starting the threads. Screwing the crown backwards until the crown drops down on the lead thread will sometimes help.

4..Do not over tighten the crown.

If the crown wobbles and does not want to start straight...

1...The crown post may be bent.

2...The crown post may be a sloppy fit in the telescoping clutch.

3...The stem may be bent.

4...The parts may just be crappy to start with. (the most common cause)

You might be able to straighten the crown post/telescope assembly but probably not. A new crown is the best fix.

Stems are easier to straighten but they may break in the threaded area or at the "waist" where the set lever rides. A new stem is the best fix.

5...Do what I do. Keep the threads clean and lubricated and live with it...hope for the best. Do not fix it until it breaks.

If the watch is a replica rolex, you can usually fix it with genuine parts. If it is another brand...IWC, AP etc, you are usually out of luck. <_<

The parts I offered will be on their way tomorrow. Shocking to find out you live two blocks from my high school sweetheart. I could tell you some interesting stories about the Wedgewood Golf Course and what happens there on dark summer nights!

SOOOOOOOOOOOO IT WAS YOU WHO HAD HALF THE CITY IN FITS!!! ;)

Hope none of the flying balls [golf balls you pervs.] landed on the your's truly.... :D

WOW, small small word Carl. Thanks a ton for the parts brother... much grateful I am.

quote =

When you screw in the crown, the movement winds or atleast he feels some sort of a winding. PLUS, the crown and the tube needs to be aligned in order for the crown to get screwd in.

Do you think there is a potentially serious problem going on here or its a minor issue -

/quote

Two things can cause the watch to wind while screwing the crown in:

1...The stem is too short and the crown does not move enough to disengage the crown clutch before screwing the crown down.

2...The crown is defective or badly designed.

The main problem with a watch winding while screwing the crown down is that the stem will be turning inside the watch with the spring tension from the crown pushing on it, causing wear to the stem and main plate. (stems are cheap and easy to change, main plates are not)

When you look at a stem, you will see the point on the end...this is the "pilot" and it guides the stem into position inside the watch and gives support for the stem, keeping it lined up inside the movement.

Just back from the pilot is the larger square section that rests against the main plate when the stem bottoms out from crown spring pressure.

This flat section is not meant to turn against the main plate when screwing the crown down...the plate and stem are not designed for this. The tension caused by the spring in the screw down crown will eventually wear the main plate where the square section contacts the plate.

What to do?

1...Lubricate the stem with watch grease and forget about it.

2...Replace the stem and/or crown.

3...Do not manually wind or set the watch very much.

4...Do what I do...option 1. :p

Why are manual wind watches with non screw down crowns not bothered by this?

Because there is no crown spring pressure on the stem.

If a manual wind watch with a defective screw down crown is wound daily for many years, it might be a problem. Automatics are not nearly as bad. (see option 1 above)

Case tube and crown thread problems are another matter.

1...With the crown unscrewed and the threads exposed...clean the threads with an old toothbrush.

2...Lubricate the threads with silicon grease.

3...Be careful starting the threads. Screwing the crown backwards until the crown drops down on the lead thread will sometimes help.

4..Do not over tighten the crown.

If the crown wobbles and does not want to start straight...

1...The crown post may be bent.

2...The crown post may be a sloppy fit in the telescoping clutch.

3...The stem may be bent.

4...The parts may just be crappy to start with. (the most common cause)

You might be able to straighten the crown post/telescope assembly but probably not. A new crown is the best fix.

Stems are easier to straighten but they may break in the threaded area or at the "waist" where the set lever rides. A new stem is the best fix.

5...Do what I do. Keep the threads clean and lubricated and live with it...hope for the best. Do not fix it until it breaks.

If the watch is a replica rolex, you can usually fix it with genuine parts. If it is another brand...IWC, AP etc, you are usually out of luck. <_<

Thanks Jimmy, that was one amazingly written HELPFUL post... :)

Thank you for taking the time to share that...