When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You get what you pay for ...

Martyd3

Could be a cheap/defective tool. But it could be the way the tool is being used. Are you applying oil to the hole before & during the tapping & are you using back-and-forth motions -- going in, then coming out a bit, then going in a bit further, then coming back out a bit & so on when running the tap through? If not, any tap may break.

This is the difference between a $6 tap and a $30 tap :angry:

post-2855-1201733144_thumb.jpg

Even $30 taps can easily break, when in the wrong hands.

There is nothing wrong with cheaper tools , it depends on the application and the user.

Cutting oil must allways be used, even on brass and aluminium.

I used cutting oil, backed the tap in and out ... did everything I was supposed to do. I have done these many times before. The gd thing just snapped with no warning!

Even $30 taps can easily break, when in the wrong hands.

There is nothing wrong with cheaper tools , it depends on the application and the user.

Cutting oil must allways be used, even on brass and aluminium.

I used cutting oil, backed the tap in and out ... did everything I was supposed to do. I have done these many times before. The gd thing just snapped with no warning!

Put it down to bad or poor heat treatment of the tap, it does happen.

Glad you managed to get the broken piece out, ------ ANYONE can break a tap,

its what one is able to do when it happens.

I got lucky. The case should have been ruined. I hope it never happens again :) I can't imagine what it would have been like if it was a gen case that I was working on!

Put it down to bad or poor heat treatment of the tap, it does happen.

Glad you managed to get the broken piece out, ------ ANYONE can break a tap,

its what one is able to do when it happens.

I got lucky. The case should have been ruined. I hope it never happens again :) I can't imagine what it would have been like if it was a gen case that I was working on!

You may have been better off with a gen. case, as the quality of the steel would have been better.

We dont know what kind of impurities get thrown into Chinese melting pots, hence QC. ( or lack of ).

Dont ever let it put you off, tapping something again, as they say , "[censored] happens ".

Also , better to be born lucky , than rich. ( at least with reps. anyway. )

I agree 100% ... would rather be lucky than good any day :)

You may have been better off with a gen. case, as the quality of the steel would have been better.

We dont know what kind of impurities get thrown into Chinese melting pots, hence QC. ( or lack of ).

Dont ever let it put you off, tapping something again, as they say , "[censored] happens ".

Also , better to be born lucky , than rich. ( at least with reps. anyway. )