When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you select the watches to buy....?

capice

In regards to reps, I first have to like the style of the watch. Then I research to determine what flaws it has. If I can deal with the flaws, I will buy it. I will always assume that every rep will carry a flaw. Thanks to these forums, members are always really quick to point them out.

• 6 months later...

The was a pretty interesting thread. and DEFINITELY interesting to see how different people go about buying watches.

As a n00b to this hobby i find myself wanting EVERY watch i see that even SORT of catches my fancy.. But as i take more time to research i think my thought process is finally becoming more rational (seeing that you're abotu to spend $3000 on watches kinda does that to you)

so....

1. I check wrist check threads. This in itself is VERY limiting because apparenlty most people on the boards wear the same few watches. Occasionally I will find a few odd ones, but for the most part its the same ones over and over (sorry the PAM bug seems to not like the taste of my blood).

2. Check dealer websites to see what's new and top sellers. If Josh and silix were to charge for viewing pics on their sites, I'm sure they would make a killing

3. I decide what if what I like would actually be worn, or if it would just sit in a box like a piece of art. Unfortunately, I'm not at the stage yet when i can buy watches to just sit in a box and 'look pretty'

4. I check to see the different versions, and the various pros and cons of different versions. Typically i will go for the best movement available

5. Check forums and google to see if i can find NON glamour shots of the watch

6. Sleep on the price. I know some people have no problem with it. but i cant bring myself to spend too much more than $300 on ANY rep. Not now. Maybe later I will, but right now its not worth it. So this point ties in with the movement. As i said earlier i try to get the best movement. But if this pushes the price way over my limit, I'll either pass or get a cheaper movement (asian vs. swiss anyone?)

7. I'm not sure yet, since i have pulled the trigger yet on my 1st batch of watches :)

Weren't you paying attention when i said i was a n00b

No rhyme or reason; I usually just build what interests me. Since I do frankensteins, my attention is less focused on new releases in the rep market (though I do my best to keep current with what's new); rather, my interest is in what the market for gen parts is doing and how current trends fit into my personal schedule of projects :)

Ha, you beat me to it Puggy :lol:

I first and foremost go with what appeals to my eye...It has to speak to me...

I then start to do the comparison to look for accuracy....

I then think about how I could mod it to get it close...

I then look at disposable funds..

I then figure a way to buy it anyway B)

+1

(no bling please, we're british)

british bling.......

david-beckham-rolls-royce-drophead-.jpg

beck2_sw.jpg

man, that thing is amazing!!

i purchase watches that are within my means of living. if i cant afford the gen, i wont purchase the rep (with a couple exceptions)

I'm very much an emotional buyer and I always was and I make no distinction to this method whether purchasing a $150 rep or a $25,000 gen. Cost has never been a consideration for me with any watch purchase and that has always been true regardless of my age or income level over the last 20 years. I do agree with the statement made in this thread where others may think any watch one wears might be a rep simply because he or she is a college student or is known to have a job that simply doesn't pay enough to afford to buy expensive Swiss watches. That would be a difficult thing for me as I prefer people not to notice my watches out in the world although I love sharing them here. I'm sure many people we connect with every day might think it pretentious if they knew how much some of our watches cost. I simply have never treated watches as a luxury item or ever consider whether people will notice that I'm wearing a nice watch - or if they think it is a rep. If I was looking for attention, all I would own would be Rolexes. Nobody has ever seen a UN where I live as an example and I wear my Diver all the time.

I haven't bought a rep in some time and that probably won't change anytime soon. There is really one reason for that choice and that is that the principle thing that attracts me to watches is the finest details which can only be had with gens. Not accuracy in looks, but rather the touch and feel and world class inner workings of something that was built by the maker that invented it and ultimately manufactured and assembled by highly skilled labor. I also have issues lately with QC. Not that I think they are unreasonable QC issues as some may think, but rather that I say to myself why bother as long as I have the money to buy the gen? That may sound a little cavalier but it is at least honest. If I start falling in love with say, the Skyland which is kind of happening now and I decide I want one I already know what the mental process is going to be. I am going to say, "Wow, the rep is great...I should get one and save the extra cash..." and then I'm going to remember all the little let downs I have had with reps and sending them back and sending them off for lume or AR and all the modding stuff I used to love but don't anymore and then I'm going to say ask myself what the impact to my life would be if I just paid ten times as much and got the gen and the answer with most sports watches at least would be none, and so I'll probably get the gen simply because I KNOW I won't have any problems with it and it will be perfect - NOT because I think it is really THAT much better than the rep. The point for me being the question: "Would I rather take a chance on having issues or would I rather just spend the cash if I have it?". That simple. So I am definitely not one of the many on this board who depite having the means, buy reps because they think gens are either overpriced or otherwise unjustified or that they can afford maybe one or two gens but prefer owning 20 or 30 reps intstead so as to have more variety. That is very common on these boards and I totally get it, but its just not the way I justify watch ownership. That said, on the other hand if all I could afford was reps I guess would have no problem owning a fleet of them as I have many times in the past as I think they are a great alternative to genuine pieces on a budget or even otherwise. But personally I have come full circle on this very recently and if I went broke tomorrow there is a good chance I would just own one gen. But which one? Hmmm...

Finally, when it comes to design it is always impulse on what moves me. Sometimes it is series of low impact ones that grow over time and one day I just have to have it. Other times it is instant, like when I was in Vegas once and bought a Millenary right there the first time I had ever even tried one on. I can just never tell. I have no clear picture of what I like and don't like in watches - other than most watches over 44MM I have no interest in and I don't care for yellow gold and I think rose gold is WAY overdone and most rose mixtures are either ugly by being too pink or being too green.

Sometimes I buy a rep to see how I like wearing it before taking the plunge on a gen.

other times I buy a rep just for the fun of it. I mean I love "pulling off" a very accurate rep on an unsuspecting friend or family member. pulling out the watch box and having friends/family guess rep or gen has been the start of some funny times.