When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to cut a datewheel?

w.genzo

Hi,

I've found the correct DW for my project, but I guess it's too heavy to be used as an overlay.

I can sand the back to make it thinner, but I don't know how to remove the useless material around the numbers.

A simple cutter blade looks too risky for me.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

post-8054-1202480441_thumb.jpg

If you can locate a bit of the correct diameter, you could use a drill to easily remove the inner material.

A file or grinding wheel is your best bet for (carefully) removing the material around the outer edge. You do not really have to worry about making it exactly round as long as you do not remove so much material that the missing portions become visible through the date window on your dial. Remember that the inside & outside edges of the DW are kept hidden behind the dial, so the edges do not have to look pretty. But I would remove a small amount of material & then do a test fit onto your movement with the dial installed to see how you are doing. It is very easy to remove too much material.

Hi,

I've found the correct DW for my project, but I guess it's too heavy to be used as an overlay.

I can sand the back to make it thinner, but I don't know how to remove the useless material around the numbers.

A simple cutter blade looks too risky for me.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

I would try to fit it without cutting it. The extra material might be useless, but it might not get in the way either. Similar wheels with excess material are used in ETA based frankenjusts.

Hi, there is no need to cut anything on these, so I don't recommend it. You will risk damaging the disc so better to leave it alone. I use these discs from time to time and do not resize them.

What model are you planning on using this for? Font size and style looks like it would be ideal for a c.3035 model.

What case and movement combo are you using? You may not have to sand it either.

I've always thougt that open 6 and 9 font was correct for a 3035..

So it could have also closed 6 and 9?

I've aways seen gen 16014 like this:

Yeah, it can be confusing. My guess is, the closed fonts on the 3035 discs could be RSC replacements. I have some 3055 discs that are closed fonts, and are smaller, almost identical to the 3135 font. I also have the open font 3055 like you have pictured and that is a great disc for a 3035 project as the font is the same as most 3035 discs, but the date progression is the same as ETA.

It's for a 3035 16014 DJ.

I bought 4 DWs before, and every seller sent me the closed '6 and '9 version, even if they show pics of open '6 and '9.

I'll try without modding it, great.

Thank you for the answers.

What movement are you planning on using? ETA? My suggestion would be to try a 2824-2 for the 16014 case. Most people use the 2836-2 for the 160XX case as the stem aligns quite easily. Why I suggest the 2824-2, is it is thinner than the 2836-2 on the dial side. When the stem is aligned, you will have more room between the dial and movement to fit the thicker genuine date disc.

I've always thougt that open 6 and 9 font was correct for a 3035..

So it could have also closed 6 and 9?

I've aways seen gen 16014 like this:

I think they may have come with either font. Most of the pics I have seen on TZ or that I collected in my archive shows closed numbers

DSCF0416.jpg

Dowling's book does not show any 160xx with 6s or 9s, but he has a pair of late 60s Datejusts (6605 & 6601) showing '29' in the date window -- the 6605 is open & the 6601 is closed. Maybe you should post the question on TZ?