When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 232 - How is the dial? Picky people wanted! :)

chad

Gotta love Davidsen, inaccuracies and total lack of QC is why I have chosen to steer clear. I MIGHT consider buying one, if I was buying it 2nd hand from someone who could already confirm that everything was perfect. Other than that, (especially lately) it seems dealing with him is a total crapshoot.

Here it is!

Does not work and here is the dial.

I will update with davidsen comments. Right now I am going through the "I do not know what you mean by crooked" emails with him. Not to mention he has not addressed the fact that the watch simply does not work.

If he takes care of this then I will be happy. We will see.

Honestly it looks far worse on the wrist than in these photos.

post-626-1203911416_thumb.jpg

As you read above the watch is dead.

I opened the watch.

Could an expert help me?

The movement is not the movement that was pictured in the watch I ordered.

The swiss mvt in the photo from DSN(right) is obviously the standard swiss I have seen time and time again.

What is the mvt in the left photo? I just snapped that. I am now thinking he sent me an asian movement watch.

EDIT: I believe it is swiss based on some comparison photos. Any other thoughts?

P.S.

He said he would refund the money if I sent it back. I thank him for that. I have my doubts about the mvt being swiss.

He does not understand the concept of the dial being out of rotation. He really has no attention to detail with dials. He just does not think that way. Also his english is not good enough to discuss these details. He did not offer a replacement because he seems to think it is dial printing problem but the dial is simply put on crooked. I cannot convey that to him.

Most watchmakers are obsessed with detail and in talking with him he seems to completely lack this.

I asked 3 non watch friend to look at the dial and asked them to describe the dial. 3 of 3 said it was crooked within 3-4 sec.

The case back is also quite scratched up.

post-626-1203914883_thumb.jpg

post-626-1203914941_thumb.jpg

The only Davidsen watch I have purchased is his one of his "Ultimate Fiddys" The 'H' movement it came with is inaccurate and only available in the 217, not the 127. This is a glaring error and to promote it as ultimate is misleading to be sure. The fact that the watch ran 10 minutes fast per day and stopped dead, every few days only to be brought back to life with a 'whack' is a further distortion of the 'ultimate' claim. Having spent an additional 250.00 to correct the malfunctions on this 'ultimate fiddy'for a watchsmith to make it right, coupled with the fact that I have read dozens of disgruntled buyers of Davidsens Panerai replicas relating to QC issues, makes me steer away completely from ever buying another watch from him. He charges a premium price for reps and the ratio of watches that have malfunctions from what I have seen, is not acceptable.

Can I trust he will refund my money if I send the watch back?

Sure. First, make sure Western Union can refund you the money -- the agency from where you sent the moneygramme is not where you will be getting the money. You have to present ID, etc. IIRC. I'm sorry, Chad. This sucks for you. :(

Good news is I don't think you have to worry about Davidsen cheating you. Just make sure you send it back registered airmail (it was $20.25 for me in Florida).

Sure. First, make sure Western Union can refund you the money -- the agency from where you sent the moneygramme is not where you will be getting the money. You have to present ID, etc. IIRC. I'm sorry, Chad. This sucks for you. :(

Good news is I don't think you have to worry about Davidsen cheating you. Just make sure you send it back registered airmail (it was $20.25 for me in Florida).

Not sure I understand what you mean about the WU thing. Does he just repay it to me as I paid to him?

Yea..... it is just not a fun hobby when this happens. Now I know why I bought my gen 176.

Not sure I understand what you mean about the WU thing. Does he just repay it to me as I paid to him?

I've never had to get a refund from David, but COINCIDENTALLY, I was at the Cheque Cashing place just Saturday where I send those Moneygrammes. I just happened to ask what happens in this situation.

The lady behind the window said that you call a 1-800 WU number, and speak to them about the refund. They then emit a cheque under the name you sent it under. Since I didn't have an pending issue, I didn't explore the topic further.

Sorry, Chad. :(

Yes, it sucks very much when these things happen. He's always worked with me -- getting me a new watch. But why they can't do that the first time, I'll never know.

I had the same Problem with the Dial. DSN send me a Replacement-Dial and it was even worse...

The Printing under the 6 was totally off-center and it was also crooked.

And the Caseback was scratched oll over.

I cut the Dial with the good Printing with a Razorblade and fixed it with Glue.

all in all a big dissapointment with DSN.

High Price and low Quality...

Sad to hear that chad, hope all will be fine for you soon. Movement wise I'm not too sure but it looks like a swiss 6497 without Panerai decorations. In fact I was planning to get the 232 from DSN too but looking at the situation here I'm not sure if I should think twice now... :unsure:

Yeah, I had the same issue with two DSN watches. The Dial was also crooked, rotated similar to yours. What I ended up doing is taking off the hands, taking off the dial, sanding off the feet, building a little jig (perfectly straight crosses on a piece of cardboard) and crazy gluing the dial down. Took a couple of trys but got it perfectly straight now.

Honestly, I will NEVER order a full watch from DSN again. His cases have stripped lug holes, the dials are [censored], etc etc. Lately what I have been doing is just buying parts and building my own watches.