When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A nice piece of Cuban history: Cuervo y Sobrinos Habana Automatico

surpur

Recently the magazine 'Watch Time' had an interesting article about the good times in Cuba and a famous watch factory that was in Havana until 1959 when Castro took over.

Now a German watchmaker has bought the name 'Cuervo y Sobrinos Habana' and is making several old style models under that name. Limited editions and real expensive.

I found that the bay has quite a few listings of the original antique 'Cuervo's' and I bought me one in the automatico 17J version.

The Swiss automatic movement on my watch has the 'AS' stamp and the number 1361-N on its plate, from a Swiss company A. Schild.

I could not pinpoint the date on the watch to either the 40's or 50', could be either one. It has the Cuervo's stamp on the rotor.

It is still going strong and a little oil and timing adjustment made sure it will go for a long time to come :rolleyes:

The movements of most of the chronographs I saw so far were all Landerons with the Cuervo's stamp on it.

Here is my little historic time piece:

104592691_o.jpg

104592703_o.jpg

104592717_o.jpg

104592580_o.jpg

They sold not only their own brand there in Habana :cool:

104592572_o.jpg

And now a real good C***n cigar!

Guest carlsbadrolex

Those are great watches and have become increasingly collectible. I bought an 18kt gold chronograph in 1992 for only $275 at a pawn shop in Miami, Fl. I gave it to my father as a fathers day gift and he still has it. I will see if I can get a couple pics from him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...