When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beautifying a SSD

bklm1234

The SSD is a very handsome watch. My suspicion is it's from the same factory as the F520117 serial rollie (aka noob) factory. The serial on it is Z539117, same last 3 digits. The dial accuracy is as good as that of the F520117 YM, Exp2, GMT2, and sub. The datewheel font looks identical. The crystal is also somewhat like gen and like the F520117 crystals, where there is notch on the part that fits to the rehaut. Well where it's made isn't so important. The important thing is it's a very well made rep. I like most about it's soft bezel turn and click, the HE valve, the gen like crown, and the very handsome bezel. As always there are some details we can improve. My typical recipe absolutely applies:

- recessing bezel insert: the insert is very thick. It is very much above the bezel lip. This watch actually doesn't allow a lot of recessing. Getting it flush is about its limit because I don't think I can mill the insert any thinner. I take that perfectly happily.

- trimming the CGs: again very typical of rollie reps, oversized CGs. Somebody already posted the mod method. I busted 2 tubes thinking it'd be easy with the tube off. But my skills to replace the tube with a generic rollie tube are not ready for prime time. I did the one shown here with the tube in place. It took me a long freaking time to trim them. Both front and back need trimming.

- wm pearl: I actually wanted to try Florida Watch's insert. I have the hardest time buying something ever. I called them so many times. I'm still persistent with them. But their inserts are nowhere near coming. So I stuck with my good old familiar wm pearl

I think the result is pretty satisfactory.

Before pics:

I didn't capture very well the insert being too high above the bezel lip. But it is more so in reality

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

After recessing the insert:

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

Closeup of insert being flush with bezel lip:

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

See how much the CGs have to be trimmed. Top one's been trimmed:

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Front view of finished watch. Look at the handsome wm pearl:

IMG_2703.jpg

PS: I'm still pursuing the shorter crystal with cskent69's gen crystal as a base.

-bk

Guest carlsbadrolex

Very nice watch and good job on the mods. I have done the same and LOVE mine. I also added a gen bracelet and THAT made a huge difference also!

I just got the call from my watch maker and my other project has gone SEVERELY over budget. I may actually be putting my modded SSD up for sale in the next couple days.

I just got two Florida Watch bezel inserts, but I went thru Gioarmani's tutorial and ordered online and had to use a credit card- took 2-3 weeks. They're ok, especially at $15 each- slightly smaller than a gen insert's pearl, a little greener, but acceptable IMO- probably equal to the watchmaterial pearl, but since I lost my watchmaterial pearl, I don't have one to compare it with!

Nice job on the cg's bk, kept the slight inside angle around the crown which is good. I also wondered about the SSD being out of the noob factory with the last three digits being 117! I do like the rep crown and tube on the SSD- may be a copy of the gen.

Very nice work, BK! B)

I slightly sanded the edge of the rep insert and installed an OEM pearl. The OEM pearl is larger so the hole needs to be enlarged a bit. Someday, I'll get around to the CGs which doesn't bother me too much when on the wrist.

The SSD is a great watch. It is very nicely built and seems to be tough as nails. One thing photos cannot communicate is the feel of the watch, which I also find to be very good.

Thanks for sharing!