When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another historic time piece: The 'Saigon special' Seiko Sportsmatic

surpur

Ever since I saw this model on the arm of a friend some 20 years ago I really liked this Seiko model. :p

He had brought his back from his tour in Vietnam and always praised it as a real tough watch. At that time I just started to get into watches and I liked the looks of this one. What struck me most at the time was the day wheel with a blue color for 'Sat' and red for 'Sun', so cool.

But he just did not want to part with it and I don't blame him.

Now I found one on the bay, the exact same model advertised as a 'Saigon Special' - great name for this watch.

Many Soldiers back then bought Seiko watches either on their way to or in Vietnam, since with the strong Dollar this were like the poor mans Rolex. Seiko automatic movements, the 'Made in Japan' ones are hard to kill. All the original Japan made '5' series automatics are great colletor pieces.

It has the original 'grain of rice' bracelet (personalized by someone who stamped 'JJ' on the clasp). You can tell that this watch has been through some tough times, but it still works perfect, is water proof and still a classic beauty. Enjoy: :D

104592633_o.jpg

104592637_o.jpg

104592647_o.jpg

104592665_o.jpg

104592670_o.jpg

104592676_o.jpg

104592657_o.jpg

Nice watch, you have to respect Seiko as true pioneers in the watchmaking industry. I'm currently after a Black monster and the one the US soldiers were issued by the US army during the Vietnam War :)

i have been a seiko collector since the mid 1990's and used to be a really active poster on the seiko forum. over the last couple years i've sold off quite a few, but kept some my favorites. actually there is no record of seiko's ever being issued during the viet nam war. lot's were bought at base exchanges and even more were bought on r and r in japan where the strong dollar made them a great bargain. dozens of models of 5's and diamatics and sportsmatics and pressmatics could be found worn by american soldiers. the model most connected with americans in viet nam were the early symmetrical case 6105-8000 divers and the later asymmetrical case 6105-811X divers. this was the watch worn by martin sheene as capt. willard in apocalypse now :)

here are a few of my seiko keepers and a rare citizen all from the viet nam era:

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

Nice watch, you have to respect Seiko as true pioneers in the watchmaking industry. I'm currently after a Black monster and the one the US soldiers were issued by the US army during the Vietnam War :)

I think the watches issued by the US Army during Vietnam were Hamilton watches, just read an article about that on some website. Correct me if I 'm wrong