When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

22mm Rubber PO Strap

yt74

Why does it matter exactly? What's with the sycophantic chasing of the irrelevant products of a particular dealer?

They've been beaten to the turn by another dealer (Silix) who has been marketing a 1:1 22mm PO strap for almost a year now. Yeah - stop the presses for this one..

What's the headline?! Prolific cartel dealers 1 year late to the plate..... Maybe the reason for the no-show is that they've realised there's no bloody point.

Oh, and haven't you heard?! PO on rubber is so 2006....

Why does it matter exactly? What's with the sycophantic chasing of the irrelevant products of a particular dealer?

They've been beaten to the turn by another dealer (Silix) who has been marketing a 1:1 22mm PO strap for almost a year now. Yeah - stop the presses for this one..

What's the headline?! Prolific cartel dealers 1 year late to the plate..... Maybe the reason for the no-show is that they've realised there's no bloody point.

I know the strap from Silix fits, and it might be 1:1 but in the photos I've seen it looks cheap. The gen rubber strap is a ridiculous ripoff at $500 but it is very high quality, I was hoping to get something a little closer for my $50.

I know the strap from Silix fits, and it might be 1:1 but in the photos I've seen it looks cheap. The gen rubber strap is a ridiculous ripoff at $500 but it is very high quality, I was hoping to get something a little closer for my $50.

The 22mm all black divers strap and the black rubber with white stitching are both $175. You're thinking of a gen SS bracelet for $500.

Good points all around. Does this make 06 vintage now? :bangin:

I know the strap from Silix fits, and it might be 1:1 but in the photos I've seen it looks cheap.

Well, I and several hundred other members here have the Silix one, and believe me it looks absolutely fine. It was modelled from a genuine strap so it is as good as it is going to get for a rep (if you can excuse the intentional '1 letter out' part code which is hidden behind the strap retainer anyway).

I used to have two of Trusty's 20mm Seamaster rubber straps and they were crap by comparison, so I can't see how he intends to improve on the Silix item going by previous efforts.

Well, I and several hundred other members here have the Silix one, and believe me it looks absolutely fine. It was modelled from a genuine strap so it is as good as it is going to get for a rep (if you can excuse the intentional '1 letter out' part code which is hidden behind the strap retainer anyway).

I used to have two of Trusty's 20mm Seamaster rubber straps and they were crap by comparison, so I can't see how he intends to improve on the Silix item going by previous efforts.

Thanks, I get it, the Silix strap is modeled after a genuine strap--but the fact remains that it looks cheap. It doesn't matter much to me how many people bought it.

I strongly doubt Trusty is making the straps; there are lots of different "factories" turning out lots of different fakes. All we are saying is it would be nice to have another option.

This does not look absolutely fine:

strs031-4.jpg

This does not look absolutely fine:

a. That is your opinion.

b. That opinion is formed by looking at a pretty average photograph of one example.

My opinion is based on handling several of these straps in person. Oh, and it doesn't matter to you how many other people agree with me......

Who is right in this discussion?!

Go figure.

But, by all means wait for Trusty's. He's been promising arrival of 'his' version since he released a really bad copy of the CR special edition PO. Hope you can handle disappointment well.

(FUD).

r11co--

There is certainly no need to get aggressive. We're talking about fake rubber straps.

We are each entitled to our opinions, and if you are satisfied with the quality of the strap you have, then that's perfect. You don't need to reiterate the fact that Doc Savage's feeling about the strap in question is his opinion--of course it's his opinion. He posted it. This is all our opinions. And while that opinion was probably informed by viewing the photograph above of Silix's strap, I'm willing to guess that he's also taking into account several other people's opinions about the appearance and function of the strap, posted on this forum.

We're talking about whether a given product meets the expectations of a particular individual, and I'm sorry but you can't be RIGHT when it comes to that. Your opinion is your own.

MK

We're talking about whether a given product meets the expectations of a particular individual, and I'm sorry but you can't be RIGHT when it comes to that. Your opinion is your own.

Basing your expectations on a photograph is senseless when there is more information available to you. You wouldn't judge a restaurant from a photograph, or judge the driving experience of a car just by looking at it parked at the side of the road.

My opinion and every else's who has praised this particular strap is based on actually owning, touching and wearing one. Who's opinion is likely to be more accurate?!

Sorry, but I am sick of this 'you are so right, but...' approach that we have to take in order to avoid offending someone who can't handle the truth. If someone has the weight of opinion against them then they should accept it.

The weight of opinion bearing against you shouldn't be mistaken for aggression (but we are all so soft these days because 'wrong' has become a dirty word).

The Silix strap is good - one of the best rep straps there is. Plenty of people have said so. To disagree is to wilfully counter the statements of dozens of reputable members in here!

Review.

More 'opinions'.

OK, so it won't be 'perfect', but then if someone's standards are so high why are they even considering reps?!

Those threads pretty much prove my point, not yours.

It is made of a different, cheaper rubber than the gen. It attracts dust, like every other cheap rep strap, the gen does not. There is obvious flashing on the sides where the mold was not fit together properly. The metal on the buckle has a rough finish in the photo. There are reports of buckles with the logo off center.

I have ordered a Silix strap, because of members reports that they are happy with it despite the flaws; that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have a better one.

It attracts dust, like every other cheap rep strap, the gen does not. There is obvious flashing on the sides where the mold was not fit together properly. The metal on the buckle has a rough finish in the photo.

These pics are of low quality so you can't be much precise on your observations. I had the gen rubber band and it also attracts the dust and I bought a used one, and the buckle was also a bit dirty, but nothing you can't solve with some polishing.

• 2 weeks later...

I like my Silix strap, but the gen does NOT have these seams running down the side from the mold it was cast in. They are more visible on the keepers, but apparent on the strap as well. Maybe they can be sanded off?

Also, I'm curious what people have used (silicone?) to treat the rubber. It's not so much that it attracts dust, but the material itself has a dusty appearance unlike the smooth natural rubber Omega uses.

Third, I tried all sorts of fatter spring bars and the bottom/longer strap still pops out at the case. The reason is not the bars, but there is not quite enough rubber "lip" to hold the bottom edge of the strap in place. The (inelegant but effective) solution was to stick a thin sliver of a folded up Post-It note between the lower edge of the strap and the case. It can't be seen, and it works, but it bugs me knowing it's there.

Even with these issues it's a great strap, and as nice as the UPO bracelet is I won't be going back to it for a while--at least until QOS is out....