When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removal of UPO crown tube?

baltic

Hi,

I've researched the dreaded UPO crown tube stripping issue and decided to get a gen crown and tube to fit my UPO.

I know the rep tube is a press fit, but can anyone advise on the best way to remove it?

I know the gen tube's diameter is too small and will need cementing in place.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

B

Edited by baltic

I talked to The Zigmeister about this, and he has some kind of removal tool. When I did mine I just tried to pull it out and it sheered off at the case. I just used a drill bit in my dremel to drill it, and the loose piece popped out from the inside pretty quickly. My biggest problem is what kind of glue to use. I've tried epoxy, and its not holding. Not sure if Im using enough glue though.

Thanks for the advice Takashi. I just assumed all epoxies were the same, I'll have to take a closer look. It did pop out after I'd been in the hot tub with it, so that may be the problem. I'm just waiting on a new movement for it, so when it arrives I'll make sure I look for a waterproof epoxy.

I use a screw extractor. You can buy them at any major tooling store, the extractor has reverse flutes on it, you screw it in the tube backwards, it grabs the tube, turns it and you can twist it out of the case.

Works on all tubes, rollie's as well...

RG

Hi Zig, thanks for the info, is there a specific size extractor to use? You serviced and lumed the watch last year and it's still going strong!

@Andreww & Takashi ta for the input.

Oh one last thing, can anyone recommend a decent glue for the gen tube?

ta

B

I used Gorilla glue to hold mine in place. Gorilla is incrediably strong and 100% waterproof according to the manufacturer. It expands as it drys and fills the void between the case and tube. I applied the Gorilla to just cover the threads of the tube before pressing it into the case and clamping it. You can trim any excess that may appear around the tube after it dries. The tube has been solid as if it was threaded into place for almost 5 months.

Edited by jdavis

@jdavis - thanks I'll look out for it. Did you find it easy to remove the stem from the crown?

The stem isn't difficult to remove. I imagine that Locktite or Hypo is used to cement the threads to the crown and it will back out easily. If you don't have a pin vise be careful that your grasping tool doesn't damage the stem.

I recommend without a doubt, 100% that you use the following:

JB Weld...The best darn adhesive for metal on the planet.

This stuff is used as an alternative to welding.

I've put this stuff on my 85 Dodge Pickup engine block to seal the oil filler tube to the valve cover. Held up like you wouldn't believe. I didn't even clean the parts, just wiped the oil off the valve cover, mixed the stuff and put it on.

Dries hard as metal, can be tapped and drilled with no issues. No shrinkage and heat resistant to 500 F.

I used epoxy for my first two attempts but I found that after soaking, it would give way soon after. I've recently re glued it using "Sumo Glue", which is a competitive product to Gorilla glue. It expands about half as much as Gorilla glue, so it seals nicely without the spill over.

Good luck!

Just to let you all know I've sealed the case back on the PO and have completed my first ever proper bit of watch repair work!

I'm mightly relieved I can tell you!

The hardest and most tricky part I found was removing the stem from the old crown as I had to 'gan canny' with two pliars - eek!

The old crown tube was easy enough to remove with a pair of fine needle nose pliars, with a twist to break the loctite or what ever sealant was used, it then pulled right out, mind you the qulaity of steel used was awful.

The new crown screwed down nicely on the stem and the new tube was popped into the case and I used UniBond metal repair which seems to have done the trick.

What I've learnt is that with some basic tools a lot of research (this place has been fantastic for this) and a bit of guts a 'relatively' straight forward job like this is achieveable even by a short sighted clutz like me!

It also increased my admiration even more for The Zigmeister with his incredible skills on the more high-end jobs.

I'm off for a calming pint now, cheers!