When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchmaterial pearl - Easy question for Rolex rep experts

perry563

Guys....I just bought a matchmaterial insert. I have a sub with a nice recessed bezel but crappy pearl. The question is this:

Can I pop out the crappy pearl, carefully widen the existing hole and then glue in the pearl WITHOUT removing the existing insert?

It is possible but, you are likely to scratch the bezel when trying to pry out the existing pearl. Use caution

It is possible but, you are likely to scratch the bezel when trying to pry out the existing pearl. Use caution

Actually I was able to pry it off with very little effort with my fingernail!

Now the question is...how easy will it be to file out the hole to fit the new pearl WITHOUT removing the insert? Possible?

Now the question is...how easy will it be to file out the hole to fit the new pearl WITHOUT removing the insert? Possible?

There are no shortcuts!

I bought a Florida watch insert and I wanted to put it on my SSD rep insert. Well, it won't fit!

The hole is too tiny and the pearl is too big. It need to be enlarged by filing it (circular file) :p

So, tear down the bezel and the insert. It is not difficult!

It is a n00b level job! :D

Easiest way to reomve the pearl from the insert without destroying it is to simply push it out from the back.

I've gotten the larger pearl to fit a number of differing manufacturers inserts (already installed on the watch) by simply putting the small, sharp end of a knife or box-cutter's razor, point down into the insert's hole & twisting the blade in circular motions to widen the hole. Works every time.

22844932.jpg

• 1 month later...
Easiest way to reomve the pearl from the insert without destroying it is to simply push it out from the back.

I've gotten the larger pearl to fit a number of differing manufacturers inserts (already installed on the watch) by simply putting the small, sharp end of a knife or box-cutter's razor, point down into the insert's hole & twisting the blade in circular motions to widen the hole. Works every time.

22844932.jpg

Just ruined my insert using that technique. It makes a cone shaped hole which looks terrible.

Edited by Rolexman

I have taken a proper size drill bit and turned it by hand to enlarge the insert hole. The insert stands slightly off the surface of the bezel which allows the bit to pass through the soft metal. With care you will get a clean cut enlarged hole that will allow the new pearl to be installed.