When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Rolex Milgauss

manuel

Hi gang!

I have recently just been dreaming bout the vintage silver milgauss...Ref 1019.

It is one of the rarest rolex, well aint as rare as the one with ray second hand, but still a beautiful watch.

If I am not mistaken this silver milgaus is known as the CERN Rolex..maybe I read it somewhere just dont know.

Well, SOme time ago, WatchMaster was selling this milgauss with eta movement as you can see in the picture.

Original movement for this rolex is caliber 1580...Since 1580 was only produced for this milgaus 1019, wonder if a caliber 1570 would fit into this case..

Also where can I find this milgauss? Is this a MBK watch?

AS far as I know, a lot of watches from WM came from BKK...who knows...Any info about this watch will be much apreciated..

Best Regards my friends, hope u are doing well.

wmmilgaushighrh7rx3.jpg

As far as I know, the only functional difference between the 2 movements is that the 1580 has 1 additional jewel. Otherwise, they are physically the exact same size & operate at 19.8bph. I do not have an MBW 1019 (I would consider getting one if you find someone selling them for a reasonable price), but I do not see why it would not fit as long as the MBW case is the same dimensions as the gen.

Just a little 1019 trivia here...

The gen is 38mm diameter w/o crown; I believe the rep is 36mm w/o crown as it uses the DJ rep case. I could be wrong on this, but I've yet to see a correct size 1019 rep offered anywhere.

Also an interesting note- Gen 1019's use the 5mm Twinlock vs. the 6mm; I have no idea why, but for whatever reason, they do. Go figure...

I have 2 non-MBW 1019 reps & both measure about 35mm excluding the crown. Other than by its reduced weight, non-Rolex winding feel/sound or newish condition, I seriously doubt whether anyone could ID 1 of these reps by sight since they are so plain

1019wrist0061.jpg

Here is a gen for comparison

426.jpg

I have seen at least 3 versions of this rep, each with a slightly different dial. I have a black dialed version that has the word 'Milgauss' in a smaller font, which is incorrect

1019black0011.jpg

Also, the case used for this rep is thicker than a vintage gen Datejust -- either 160x or 160xx.

At some point, my plan is to swap out the current Asian POS movement for a slow-beat 2846, install a gen Twinlock crown/tube (if I can find the correct 5mm crown, that would be an option), change the bezel's polished finish to a brushed finish (may do that tonight) & install the correct Plexi crystal.