When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

faux datyona with the 21j movement secs @ 6

db1

i have heard some people liked the faux chrono rolex daytona with the 21j mvoement with the secs @ 6 running with the big second hand. also heard it is not commonly available? well. i have just spoken to a friend who know someone who has those for sale.

i'll check that out..

I have one of those, a modern Daytona, black dial.

Got it about 2 years ago, not worth it. Very inaccurate, silver subdial rings are too fat and shiny, looks really fake.

Sorry, if I may chime in again here...

I honestly think you have 2 (two) choices when it comes to getting a Daytona for a reasonable price:

1. Wait until the manufacturers correct the broken movement.

2. Get a vintage rep, with manual wind movement and frozen 6:00 subdial. (Any mega-dealer can do this for you free of charge)

thanks for the tip corgi :) yeah i am aware of the 7750 secs @ 6, this is sad, but hopefully in the near future the factories will work on that issue and let us have a reliable secs at 6 daytona rep :]

@ rek: yeah i know it has some ugly a$$ sub-dials, i actually in a process of getting one of these, cheap, more for fun then daily wear.

thought maybe use it for parts, do anyone think the modern, accurate secs @ 6 rep dial can fit there instead of the ugly one?

I have no idea if a better dial would fit, sorry.

Personally I can't wear that Daytona, just does not look right.

I have heard rumors that they are beginning to work on a more reliable secs@ 6 movement, but who knows how long that will take.

damn, if they would find a reliable solution for that secs @ 6 daytonas that would be really cool !

can't understand why didnt they tried to solve it long ago, right after problems started to pop up and boxes full of watch returns came in.

oh well :]

the only thing that can be nice on the faux secs @ 6 daytona, is that its reliable, but not looking too good of course, cause of the thick sub-dails, and the fact both big and small secs are running all the time together.

anyway its nice for fun! and maybe i'll try to do something with the parts.

still wondering if the better secs @ 6 dial would fit there, wish i knew .. :)

db1

I have heard rumors that they are beginning to work on a more reliable secs@ 6 movement, but who knows how long that will take.

If this happens I will go broke. Sometimes I want for them not to make a reliable Daytona, because if they do, I won't be able to unleash the shopping spree from hell..

and don't forget if they make that movement, what else will show up - the mind-blowing Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph.

...its a scary thought.

I have read reports that the new Asian 7750 with 28.8k bph movement has proven to be far more trustworthy than the previous variations. If I recall correctly,

The Zigmeister wrote a review of this movement and gave it a clean bill of health. Is this incorrect or am I missing something. :unsure:

You are right, the new A7750 valjoux 28,600 is far better then the old one, by the long and amazing The Zigmeister review of the movement, and as said by many members.

but it is reliable when in it's original sub-dial config (secs @ 9)

what makes the movement a timebomb is the secs @ 6 gears conversion, the factories invented a "quick fix" to have the secs running @ 6 instead of 9 to mimic the new model daytonas, and this quick fix is proven to be unreliable.

i heard even the "swiss valjoux 7750" versions with the added gears for secs @ 6 turning the movement into the same timebomb, even though its a swiss valjoux

The Zigmeister have said something about jeweling the extra gears for better reliability if i am not mistaken..

I have read reports that the new Asian 7750 with 28.8k bph movement has proven to be far more trustworthy than the previous variations. If I recall correctly,

The Zigmeister wrote a review of this movement and gave it a clean bill of health. Is this incorrect or am I missing something. :unsure:

Edited by db1

but it is reliable when in it's original sub-dial config (secs @ 9)

what makes the movement a timebomb is the secs @ 6 gears conversion, the factories invented a "quick fix" to have the secs running @ 6 instead of 9 to mimic the new model daytonas, and this quick fix is proven to be unreliable.

i heard even the "swiss valjoux 7750" versions with the added gears for secs @ 6 turning the movement into the same timebomb, even though its a swiss valjoux

ziggy have said something about jeweling the extra gears for better reliability if i am not mistaken..

Correct. It may be worth trying the powdered graphite treatment, which, so far, has brought a few dead secs at 6 Daytonas back to life (the initial test watch is still running strong 3 weeks after its initial treatment). Search for 'powdered graphite' for details.

Don't confuse the "frozen" version with standard cheap Daytona reps.

The crappy Daytonas (usually very inaccurate) have constantly running stopwatch and faux 3' & 9' subdials. The one that I (and a few other members) have been talking about has the high-end replica case, and completely frozen stopwatch + 3' & 9' (all hands pointing at '12) subdials, and running seconds at '6. That particular replica model has nothing to do with those usual cheap Daytona reps.

The "frozen" version with high-end case is the one that might interest the members, not a cheap faux chrono Daytona with running stopwatch seconds and/or laughable calendar subdials.

Watchhonpo and Eddie Lee were the only ones (that I remember) who offered that very rare "frozen" version.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=25053

@ By-Tor: damn, i checked the link- this is nice :] accurate case and dial with the 21j version? really better looking then what i have seen..

these are probably rare, not available anyway dont they?

do you have a clue what 21j movement these daytonas had in them?

Edited by db1