When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

asian 8413 movement into a cheap sub (17j)

db1

I have a cheap submariner (the cheapest "canal st" reps with the 17j movement... probably... second hand jerks really bad)

the watch is unworn most of the time, i want to swap the movement in there for an asian 8413 with the high beat rate,

its a cheap, yet better movement then what i have in there, which will also give me a smoother second hand, and better date font (currently has date font with the "open" 9 and 6 etc..)

what do you think about this movement? its damn cheap, but i heard is ok, would it fit my cheap submariner?

any help appreciated!

thanks

This would not necessarily be an easy deal. I had a couple of $50 Datejusts where I wanted to put one dial in another case. The stuff didn't fit- obviously two different manufacturers.

And the 8413 movt you refer to, is that the DG2813 you're thinking of? The one that Josh refers to as an asian ETA? If that's the case, you just need to ante up the $120 and buy Josh's beginmariner. It's a good watch with a good movement. Second option would be to buy River's Sub with the ETA copy movement- it's also a "noob" like the beginmariner. I've had both- gave the begin to a nephew and I'm wearing the River noob today. If I was to do it all over again, I'd get the River copy eta noob- it's been a great watch.

I'd just chalk the Canal St rep up to experience- it'd be great to practice on!

This would not necessarily be an easy deal. I had a couple of $50 Datejusts where I wanted to put one dial in another case. The stuff didn't fit- obviously two different manufacturers.

And the 8413 movt you refer to, is that the DG2813 you're thinking of? The one that Josh refers to as an asian ETA? If that's the case, you just need to ante up the $120 and buy Josh's beginmariner. It's a good watch with a good movement. Second option would be to buy River's Sub with the ETA copy movement- it's also a "noob" like the beginmariner. I've had both- gave the begin to a nephew and I'm wearing the River noob today. If I was to do it all over again, I'd get the River copy eta noob- it's been a great watch.

I'd just chalk the Canal St rep up to experience- it'd be great to practice on!

thanks for your help!

actualy i wasnt refering to the DG2813, but to the higher beat rate version of it, which is also called asian 8413 (also the one that was in Josh's post "refered as ETA but not ETA"

i believe what i currently have in the sub right now, is a DG2813 (21,600) or maybe even worse (i am thinking about a 17j crap movement!)

the case of the sub i have is the old case which is refered as the best factory case? or something like that.. by many rep collectors, i just don't like the movement in there, with the seconds which sweeps really poorly, and date font is really bad as well..

i though the asian 8413 would be a cheap, and good replacement, does anyone knows if it can fit in there? i am not sure, but it is possible that the current movement in my sub is a DG2813 or anything similier.

i can have a watchsmith swap the movements for me, just wondering if this swap would fit

any more help will be great

Edited by db1

There's nothing wrong with a 21,600 bph DG2813. There's nothing wrong with any 21,600 bph movt. It's just a slower beat.

As for the swap, all you can do is try. The biggest problem is the date wheel and date window lining up- if it doesn't, you'd have to get a new dial or datewheel overlay- also hope it all lines up w/ the cyclops. Second thing is the hands swapping over- you won't know til you try. Lastly, the crown/stem has to align with the case tube.

All you can do is try it- there are no guarantees. If it doesn't work, what are you out? $50-60?

I would doubt that your case is a TW Best- as in Taiwan Best. It's possible, but highly doubtful. A few months ago I bought every cheap $50 sub rep I ran across on the Bay, hoping to stumble across a TW Best w/ lugholes. None of them were. A TW Best has the deep rehaut, and the inside diameter is in the 27mm range so that you can fit a gen rolex dial which is typically around 1mm smaller than a rep dial- most modern rep dials are in the 28.5mm range (for subs).

BTW, a DG2813 is identified by the WO symbol under the balance. It comes from PTS Resources over in China. It's the best Chinese movt. IMO. Next step up is the Miyota 8215 for around $40.

I tried a similar swap like yours with a cheap sub rep i had. According to your description, your "cheap" sub and my "cheap" sub have probably the same movement inside (mine had open 6 and 9s as well).

I tried to swap the movement with a DG2813 just because of the date font (the DG2813 i have has closed 6s and 9s).

It didn't match the dial. The date wheel of the DG2813 didn't center in the date window.

Although the mechanics of 2813 and the "cheap" canal st. sub's were looking the same, the date wheel diameters were different.

I also had problem to install the hands of the "cheap" rep on the 2813...Well maybe that was my fault, maybe i was doing something wrong, but i doubt it

because it was not the first time i was removing and reseting hands...

You can give it a try though. If your movements' date wheels are the same (inner/outer diameter) it may work...

Yeah, not really interchangeable. I've got a 2813 in my UPO Lite (4813) case right now, while I wait for a replacement movement. Its too thick, and I can't put a rotor on it, but crown and stem aren't a problem.

thanks for your tips bros :]

so what you mean andrew , is that there is no way to make the stem & crown line up right with what i am thinking to do?