When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm a newbie, may I ask for assistance

Hi all,

I'm a new member here in the RWG community.

Just wondering if I could pick some of your brains (sorry if that's not PC..oh well) but I was wondering if there were any reps that are a "must have" and I know dealers will differer and opinions will too, but that's what the topic is here for.

Visa Versa what reps should be avoided like the plague.

I'm really looking for a Bell & Ross but just can source one that doesn't look like a rep a mile away.

Thanks in advance,

Kermit-2004

Edited by kermit-2004

Kermit:

You're asking people to help you decide what you like. Perhaps a better question would be one that asks which reps are closest to gen. level in terms of looks. If you asked me that, then I'd probably tell you you should look at Rolex subs, Omega Planet Oceans, Breitling Steelfish Superoceans, and Panerai 111s (I prefer the 112s)....those four would be the basis for a pretty good start.

As for the Bell & Ross...the new ones look pretty good. I think it's always gonna be a "niche" watch and manufacturers will never think they are worth the money to make them great. Still, that begs the question you need to answer for yourself: how good is good enough? There are some recent threads on the "10 second rule" you should read and then there are threads from people who have $1,000 in their rep...

Back to the Bell & Ross...ask yourself how many you've seen on people wrists? Personally, I've never seen one...and as I'm sure you've learned by now everyone's wrist gets checked out! So if you like them, buy one they're relatively cheap. Start with the manufacturere home page and study the models, decide 46 or 42? check the various boards and look at the member's sales areas....

dluddy's advice is good though. just keep reading and you'll find you style...ask questions and welcome...

Spend some time at your local AD (authorized dealer) to get an idea of which models you like & how they look & feel in real life (and on your wrist -- yes, try them on). Once you have done your own homework, come back & make use of the Search feature to research the quality of the specific models you are interested in & which reps have the least objectionable sins (all commercially manufactured reps contain inaccuracies and only you can decide which you can live with & which you cannot).

Hi and welcome to the forum as i say to mots new members is to spend some time before you spend your cash. If you dont know what you like in the first place it is very hard to ask what you should buy, but that being the question have a look for the hublot big carrot.

And dont buy it!

Hi Kemit,

Welcome to the board. I have found the place very useful and it has guided me to make some purchases. However the choice of what I wanted to buy was my own as I believe yours needs to be your own. If you dont know what you want have a look in a local jewelry store and see what takes your fancy then search around here to find a descent rep. Also have a quick look here for some ideas

TOP 10 Under $150

From a fellow newbies observations the most popular reps tend to be Rolex Submariners, Omega Seamasters and Panerai Luminors in no particular order. Thats just my observation though.

Good luck with your search.

Paul

Edited by Sturb

Welcome Kermit 2004,

Your question has too many answer depending on taste, budget etc.

Start reading this forum and after a few weeks you will have gained a lot of knowledge.

OK one tip then since you are still a so called "noob" search for that word.

Carpe Diem,

Cats

Welcome,

The comments I've seen so far have been excellent, you should listen to these guys, I've learned a LOT from this forum!

Just a quick note about the Bell & Ross. I have a BR 03-92 Replica, which I love even though it has flaws (poor lume and fake screws on the back are the two that spring to mind). Having said that, I have yet to run into anyone who has EVER seen a Bell & Ross before and the few people who have been interested enough to take it in their hands and look at it closely, have NOT identified it as a replica.

In my personal experience most people don't know squat about Bell & Ross, let alone know how to tell a fake from a genuine.

A good lume job, however, would sure be nice.