When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartier Santos 100: rep vs gen

milsub5517

How many inaccuracies can you find? ;)

the answer to the question is - way too many for a $250 watch..

btw, does anyone else find it funny that silix's pictures have a stamp " DO NOT COPY" ???? :rofl:

You can't expect "perfection" out of a $250 wannabe of a $4K watch. I know these "faults" are unacceptable, but most of us wouldn't even pay a premium if they decided to engineer all the details down to the "cartier" printing at 7:00.

Of course, you could always buy the watch as is, replace the bezel screws (which scream FAKE, BTW), get a NOS dial, and you're already halfway there.

"You can't expect "perfection" out of a $250 wannabe of a $4K watch." - yes you can expect "perfection" from a rep for even less money, look at AR'ed asian SFSO for instance.

a lot of people are saying that santos is a must have. I just cant understand how they can ignore these things screaming rep.

Edited by mil_sub

"

a lot of people are saying that santos is a must have. I just cant understand how they can ignore these things screaming rep.

Does`nt that also go for virtually every rep. we can get ?

Hav`nt come accross the "perfect rep. " yet, have you?

yes i have. SFSO.

Perfection is what you define it to be. The "Asian SFSO" (21J Version) is far from it. Cosmetically, it is "perfect", but when you take aesthetics into consideration like how:

1) The "screws" on the bezel are irremovable

2) Some crooked lume markers

3) For some, the bezel pearl is off-center

4) and while we're still talking bezel, some have also reported that their bezels are also a click or two off perfect alignment at 12:00.

Bear in mind I don't hate the SFSO. It is truly a rep to be deserving of "super rep" status, but the bezel not being able to be removed, to me, is what takes it off the "perfect" short list.

who cares about the screws? screw them :lol: how many people remove them on their gen? i've seen SFSO's that have perfect lume markers. my bezel is perfectly aligned and clicks just fine.

SFSO is as close as one could get to a gen for 125$ :) and this is a perfect rep in my book. only 10% of the cost of the used gen.

I never understood people putting 1K into a rep...

Perfection is what you define it to be. The "Asian SFSO" (21J Version) is far from it. Cosmetically, it is "perfect", but when you take aesthetics into consideration like how:

1) The "screws" on the bezel are irremovable

2) Some crooked lume markers

3) For some, the bezel pearl is off-center

4) and while we're still talking bezel, some have also reported that their bezels are also a click or two off perfect alignment at 12:00.

Bear in mind I don't hate the SFSO. It is truly a rep to be deserving of "super rep" status, but the bezel not being able to be removed, to me, is what takes it off the "perfect" short list.

Edited by mil_sub

I think Rocket had a guy doing a dial for him; I don't know if he actually used it, but I remember he posted a thread in the forum about six months ago regarding a possible group buy of new santos dials.

correct. The dial in the picture is one of 9 prototypes (the other dials are in a few lucky members hands) I received prior to my projected being killed by the maker. B)

correct. The dial in the picture is one of 9 prototypes (the other dials are in a few lucky members hands) I received prior to my projected being killed by the maker. B)

Yes , I remember, Rocket and Spookycord tried very hard to get this off the ground,

with a lot of effort put in, unfortunately it was pulled by the maker.

It shows what effort can do, if and when it is taken to the ultimate.

This was a real pity for everyone wanting a perfect Santos 100 dial.

these guys here --> forum link are trying to make a perfect PAM dial through a factory. may be you could share your experience with them... good santos dial and PAM dial would certainly attract a lot of buyers.

Yes , I remember, Rocket and Spookycord tried very hard to get this off the ground,

with a lot of effort put in, unfortunately it was pulled by the maker.

It shows what effort can do, if and when it is taken to the ultimate.

This was a real pity for everyone wanting a perfect Santos 100 dial.

• 2 weeks later...

My name is high up on that list, absmith.

I have been wanting that dial for sometime, now. I would even make an offer to those original 8-9 members that have them.

For now, the chrono version is a much better buy than the standard Santos 100 version. Far fewer flaws for the $$$.

My name is high up on that list, absmith.

I have been wanting that dial for sometime, now. I would even make an offer to those original 8-9 members that have them.

For now, the chrono version is a much better buy than the standard Santos 100 version. Far fewer flaws for the $$$.

I agree about the chrono version... without a good dial and possible solid gold bezel, i guess my dream of the standard Santos 100 will never come to fruition.

Ajoesmith,

Any chance of maybe doing a run of the imperfect dials?

What is the minimum order number?

Maybe we could compromise and order 50 of the dials or so the way you had them?

Would your dealer even be interested in selling them on a piece by piece basis for say $50 a pop?

Maybe this is just fantasy.

I agree about the chrono version... without a good dial and possible solid gold bezel, i guess my dream of the standard Santos 100 will never come to fruition.

You can't expect "perfection" out of a $250 wannabe of a $4K watch. I know these "faults" are unacceptable, but most of us wouldn't even pay a premium if they decided to engineer all the details down to the "cartier" printing at 7:00.

Of course, you could always buy the watch as is, replace the bezel screws (which scream FAKE, BTW), get a NOS dial, and you're already halfway there.

True, it needs some work, but not bad for only 65 euros on silix's cheapy site. I've ordered a Tank Americaine for the other half from him as it looks better than some of the far more expensive reps the other collectors are offering on here. B)

Tom

Just picked up what looks like the same Santos on a ss bracelet for $55 in Chinatown - love this watch - heavy @ 190 grams - sure there are dial inaccuracies but face it, unless comparing side by side to a gen, visiting an AD or getting scrutinized by a watch forum member, who would know the difference???