When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I clicked on a link at the top of the page.

KB

And this is what I got....

The first step in deciding whether or not the watch in your hand is real or not is to carefully inspect the entire outside of the watch. While you'll be using a loupe or magnifier later in the process; your first look should involve nothing but your trained eyes and hands.

While this part of the process will definitely be the most difficult to grasp and become adept at, this skill set will provide a safety net like no other. Although, as a member of our group, we'll do our best to keep you updated on all of the new enhancements being added by the replica manufacturers; there's always the chance that you'll encounter a very new version of a replica or a so-called 'frankenwatch' (a replica that's been enhanced with genuine Rolex parts in an attempt to fool even the experts) - If that happens, your eyes and hands will tell you that something isn't quite right.

What are you looking for? For starters- anything that isn't absolutely perfect! Rolex invests a great amount of time and effort in making each watch they produce a flawless example. When you look at the watch in your hands I want you to pay careful attention to the way that things fit together and the transitions between the various finishes found on the watch. It's critical at this stage that you manipulate the watch in your hands while you examine it with your eyes.

It's also very helpful if you make a point of spending some quality time with watches that you know are authentic. Most authorized Rolex dealers are happy to let you get better acquainted with their inventory and this experience is invaluable. Try to find a dealer who is genuinely interested in the watches that they sell and always be courteous and time your visits when the store isn't packed with customers. Of course, don't forget to reward the dealer's kindness with your business or referrals.

The things that you should be paying attention to are: the weight of the watch and it's various parts; the feel of the bracelet, bezel, and clasp; the noise the clasp makes when you open and close it, the feel and sound created by rotating the bezel on a sports watch, the colors of the metals and how perfect the fit and finish is or isn't.

Sometimes, the dead giveaway will be a non-hacking movement in a watch that is supposed to hack (stop when you pull out the crown). Other times, the screws in the removable links on the bracelet will be poorly finished and/or ill-fitting. Maybe it will be the glare on the dial or bezel that sticks out like a sore thumb. It might be something much, much more subtle like the curvature of the bezel insert. As you advance in this series, I'll discuss all of these things in sometimes excruciating detail. My goal is to make you absolutely confident when you decide that the watch that you are looking at is real- a Rolex expert!

So now I guess I have to sign up for the full course to learn.....do you think there's a reason why the price isn't advertised? :D

Ken ;)

Careful with the link clicking Ken, you could end up in La La land.

Just watch now how many spam emails end up in your inbox now,

relating to rep watches, they have your IP address now.

Mine must grow to 200 / week in the junk mail.

For an online gen buyer or newb that does not know about RWG or have the time or inclination to spend days searching the web for info, this seems like a good way to get up to speed on reps. Based on the paragraph you included, it sounds very similar to what I tell newbs (familiarize yourself with fit & finish of gens at your AD, etc).

What page is this link on?