When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GEN or REP?

Guest asad

After spending alot of time here, I am craving a GEN PAM "Again".

I had put up a couple of my Vintage Omega Speedy PRO's for trade (As they are more of collector pieces and I never wore them due to that).

So I have gotten a trade offer for this Panerai 112E.

(He is a reputable seller or trader from Taiwan and is willing to add some cash to top it off).

I don't know enough about Panerai's yet to telling them off as it maybe a Rep. He states he has accurate paper work but is missing the box.

(Heck I got 2 Gen Boxes from the Reps I got) Funny!

What do you guys think?

(Should I FLIP my GEN Omega Speedies Pro '69+'79= GEN PAM112E?)

Here are some pictures from the trader

(GEN OR REP)?

PAM112E.jpg

PAM112Eaa.jpg

PAM112Eback.jpg

Thanks

Edited by asad

It's a gen. Here are some hi-res shots of another 112 (though F-series) that will help you evaluate:

PAM112

If I may piggyback a question here about engraving. Wasn't one of the rep PAM owner's beefs always that the Officine PanerAI was cut off?

In this EXCELLENT link you provided, Anton, the gen has that too. Angle perhaps?

DSC_0783.jpg

If you look at the movement pic in the OP's post, you'll see (although small) that the "AI" is also cut off in that picture as well.

@ asad:

The speedy (and if yours is the manual-wind version) had held some type of historical value as the "original moon watch" and it's style hasn't changed for over 35 years. I would keep it if I were you, but go trade for it if the 112 speaks volumes to you. Remember, a watch is only good to you if it holds some relevant meaning other than "just another watch".

The speedies have recently begun to fetch a little more than the past couple of years. I've seen the Cal. 321 versions to fetch almost double of that the Cal. 861 or 863 gets.

If I may piggyback a question here about engraving. Wasn't one of the rep PAM owner's beefs always that the Officine PanerAI was cut off?

In this EXCELLENT link you provided, Anton, the gen has that too. Angle perhaps?

DSC_0783.jpg

it's 100% the angle of the pic,

the finsh of the bridges make it gen 100%, at least the movemet!

@ asad:

The speedy (and if yours is the manual-wind version) had held some type of historical value as the "original moon watch" and it's style hasn't changed for over 35 years. I would keep it if I were you, but go trade for it if the 112 speaks volumes to you. Remember, a watch is only good to you if it holds some relevant meaning other than "just another watch".

Yes they are both the manual wind original Moon watch and they most deffinetly have a great heritage that is the reason i have 3 of them, Though I don't wear the Vintage ones as they are more of a collector piece, thus the reason I am considering this trade as I like to wear all my watches.

And I know for a positive fact that I will wear that 112E.

But will always have a part of the Speedies history, as i am going to be keeping my newer '99 Omega Speedy Pro Saphire case back alteration as i love to wear it.

DSC03177.jpg

DSC03162.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

Although the "value" of the trade may seem good to you. I wonder what the end result is going to be. You are trading two watches that will surely increase in value and the historical value is there... The Panny is a Panny and will always be nothing more than a nice watch.

If I were you, I would hold off and find a Panny when you had the cash to buy it. In fact, if you simply wanted to sell the Speedy's I might have a buyer that would offer you even slightly more than the $4700.

I'm just curious; the 60's Speedy that you decided to trade; was it "Pre-Moon" or "Post-Moon" model?

The 60's is a Pre Moon:

DSC03223.jpg

And i know the Pre-Moons are alot more in value, and what makes my '69 even more rare is that it is a Pre-Moon with the 861, which is a very rare combination and Omega had produced only a handfull of this variation.

Thanks

Although the "value" of the trade may seem good to you. I wonder what the end result is going to be. You are trading two watches that will surely increase in value and the historical value is there... The Panny is a Panny and will always be nothing more than a nice watch.

If I were you, I would hold off and find a Panny when you had the cash to buy it. In fact, if you simply wanted to sell the Speedy's I might have a buyer that would offer you even slightly more than the $4700.

Thanks is exactly what i am trying to justify in my head, As any well demanded vintage piece is always going to go up.

But when i think about the 112E I know is going to gain value as well, As that Panerai does not sell many watches and they are always going up in value. and for being in the market I have noticed that there is a some what more demand for sausage to sandwich dials.

Thanks

I personally think you would be crazy to get rid of the 60's Speedy. The 112 will never approach the value of the Speedy.

But, at the end of the day, it is whether you keep the 60's as an investment or choose to get something you will wear often and appreciate for it's beauty.

I personally think you would be crazy to get rid of the 60's Speedy. The 112 will never approach the value of the Speedy.

But, at the end of the day, it is whether you keep the 60's as an investment or choose to get something you will wear often and appreciate for it's beauty.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Guest carlsbadrolex

I live in SoCal... It seems to me that the Panny thing is a phase that will NOT last. I was in down town LaJolla this weekend and counted 14 Panarai watches in an 8 hour period. I confess, I own a gen Panerai... But it will be going up for sale very soon. It just has no real character.

There is simply NO WAY| I would get rid of those Omega's.

I live in SoCal... It seems to me that the Panny thing is a phase that will NOT last. I was in down town LaJolla this weekend and counted 14 Panarai watches in an 8 hour period. I confess, I own a gen Panerai... But it will be going up for sale very soon. It just has no real character.

There is simply NO WAY| I would get rid of those Omega's.

^^^ Totally agree. I'm a big fan of Omegas and I don't think PAM's are in the same league as an Omega. Of course, this is MHO.

When PAM's were not generally known I was into them heavily. I owned two gens, then when the popularity of them started rising and everyone and their sisters were sport'n one I decided to sell the two I owned. I also live in Los Angeles. I'm into dive watches and I tend to like unique models. When everyone is wearing the same watch as I am, I start to loose a bit of interest. Not to mention the $$$ they're asking for them is nuts! That's what drove me here. I like PAM's for their original style, but I like to wear my watches and didn't want to cringe every time I ding'd the sucker.

The watch in the pic is Gen. No way in hell I would trade 2 speedies for it. Not that it's not nice. First off it's a base model E series which is few years old and without a box. I see these on TZ quite often for around $3k with a full box set and often times a couple extra nice straps. The pre-moon speedy is awesome. If you want to sell it outright I would do that before trading it. If you do decide to sell it outright PM me.

The watch in the pic is Gen. No way in hell I would trade 2 speedies for it. Not that it's not nice. First off it's a base model E series which is few years old and without a box. I see these on TZ quite often for around $3k with a full box set and often times a couple extra nice straps. The pre-moon speedy is awesome. If you want to sell it outright I would do that before trading it. If you do decide to sell it outright PM me.

I will let you know.

Thanks

My 2 cents. I only see keeping a watch as an investment if you also get some use out of it (generally there are better investments for your money than watches). Therefore, if you are going to wear the Omegas or get other satisfaction from owning them, then keep them. If you are going to get more wear and enjoyment out of the Panerai, then either make the trade or sell the Omegas and buy the Panerai. It should be the value to you that is important, not the value to others.

However, just don't change your mind after the trade :lol: