When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer II white face with dead mvmt.

flamemax

Hey all,

I had previously posted this in the Supporters area and have decided to move it here where all the Rolex pros are.

I have this Explorer II (incorrect hand stack).

The movement died a while back and I am wondering what I can do with this short of using it as

a paper weight?

If I give it a shake - the seconds hand "might" tick for about 5 secs

Winding does nothing.

I guess the bottom line is;

Would it be feasible to bring it back to life, or should I chuck it?

or trade it?

Where did you get it? What movement is in it?

You will need to consider if the repair cost will exceed the value of the watch. If it has an Asian 2813 movement, it could be replaced for $20 and the GMT modified parts added to the new movement. If you have the skill to do it yourself, it might make it feasible to do. An ETA movement is far more expensive but, repairing the existing movement might be a better choice if you know a watch maker willing to tackle the job.

The movement died a while back and I am wondering what I can do with this short of using it as a paper weight?

If I give it a shake - the seconds hand "might" tick for about 5 secs

Winding does nothing.

It sounds like the movement is just in need of an overhaul (cleaning, lubing). Many 'new' reps contain used or improperly serviced movements.

But what do you mean by 'Winding does nothing'? Do you mean the stem does not appear to be turning the gears when you wind it, or do you mean it winds but winding does not make the watch run? In the 1st case, there is a mechanical problem & the movement is probably not worth repairing (replace the watch). In the 2nd case, the movement needs an overhaul.