When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Hunt In Vegas

shimside11

I spent the last few days in Las Vegas walking around while my wife was in a seminar. Here's a little report, hopefully it won't be too fragmented.

First of all, I have never seen so many damned Submariners in one place before. Real, fake, lots of SS and two-tone. I saw five just between the elevator on my floor and the front door on the strip. Subs at the pool, at dinner. I even talked to a guy at dinner with us one night about his (20 yr old gen). Lots of Omegas too. Also, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Movado Museum watch.

Moving on, some of the places I visited...Horologio at the Venetian (where we stayed), various Rolex dealers, Cartier at the Wynn, also a high end jewler at the Wynn that had a great selection of PP, AP, VC, etc., Rolex dealer at MGM, and of course Tourneau at the Forum shops at Caesers. Various other jewelers with stuff like Richard Mille, Harry Winston, etc.

I tried on a LOT of watches, unscrewed the crown, wound them, played w/ the bracelet, etc. Some of the more memorable were, AP Royal Oak, IWC Ingenieur and Portugese, VC Overseas, Seadweller, SS Sub date and no date, Daytona, Panerai 120 blue dial, 111, Breitling Navitimers, (didn't dare ask to try the Pateks, a bit out of my range), Planet Ocean small and large sizes, Omega SMPs, Omega Aqua Terra, and Cartier Santos (various).

Now I'm totally confused about my next rep. I will be spending all of the mortgage payments for the next three months on reps....arrrrg.

My favourites were the Overseas, Royal Oak, and if you can believe it, the Cartier Santos Dumont (I know, but it just sat so well on the wrist). If the rep looks and feels anywhere near the Overseas, I definitely need to get that. What an amazing watch. Also I fell deeply in love with the Pam 120 w/ the ss bracelet (40mm).

I was very surprised to find that I liked the IWC Ingenieur the least. It's very thick for its bracelet. That was one of the reps I had been looking at, but the gen is so off balance I could never wear it. The Pam 120 is just as thick but the whole presentation with the bracelet is so wearable and it just melts into the wrist.

Lastly, I saw the Leopard Daytona in a display case. Never saw that live before. It is the most butt ugly watch I have ever seen. It looks like something you would see in WalMart that you would buy for your teenage daughter. Yeah, all the bling is real, but it's not impressive (at least not in a good way). Hans Wilsdorf is rolling in his grave...what the hell were they thinking?

Well, that's my experience. Got some interesting stories about salespeople from it as well. I'll share those in another post.