When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newb advice: first rep?

Newdoc

It has been a few months now that I've been watching the forum, and I have to admit it has become something of an addiction. I haven't actually pulled the trigger on a rep yet, though, because I've been too indecisive and am still regretting my first purchase....a fantasy green bezel GMT Master2 that set me back a whole 120 bucks.

So as an admitted newb I'd like to ask for any suggestions based on the following to see if anyone has any novel or insightful opinions

1. I'm looking for something that is eyecatching but not over the top that I could pull off with a tie but would set off something casual as well. I like some of the simple sporty PAMs but don't know if they're too big or gaudy...

2. Price isn't a huge object I just want to make a good investment. Should I start with an inexpensive rep like those on the 'top ten under 150' list and make mods for better lume, better accuracy, etc...

3. Accuracy and reliability are high priorities...(does this go without saying?) so i have ruled out looking at chronos or ones with most complications because it seems even most gmt movements don't correspond with the gens...

4. Personal preference... Has to have a date... That's just me

5. Something less popular or not cliche would be ideal. I've ruled out black Subs and a handful of other Rollies for that matter.

few quick examples of then any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Most simple breitlings and pam's seem eye catching but could be worn in a professional setting. Same with omegas like the railmaster but it's sans date.... The sub pretty much fits the bill except for the fact that everyone I know who has a nice watch has one. I may go for a mille miglia and upgrade strap and lume. Hopefully this is conveying the theme I'm getting at. Thanks all. Glad to be a part of the forum

I think if everyone you know has a sub, you may find that you would want to stay within that 'universe', but come up with something more distinctive and original. I'm surprised by how powerful the social conditioning effect that the popularity of a particular watch amongst a social group can exert on the individual.

I'd get a modded MBW 1665 with as many genuine parts as possible. I doubt anyone in your social network owns a 40 y/o DRSD or a GW. I have almost zero interest in modern rollies, and almost never have- which gives you an idea of the difference in feel, IMO.

If you're looking for a great rep that is a real eye catcher, and represents the pinnacle of what's possible in the 'rep world', then I would get the Hublot Big Bang with polished ceramic bezel.

no chrono's right?

You wear the watch, don't let it wear you. Don't worry about the impression so much. Chances are you'll have a few pieces in rotation not so long from now, and will be able to match your watch with your mood or agenda for the day (or night).

Subs/rolex are too cliche to be ur first. I wish I could do it over again. Although, you must have at least one.

U could make this real easy and get a Breitling Steelfish superocean, swiss ETA. Ready to roll out of the box. Amazing watch that always fits the bill.

Your first watch will influence your second and so on. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Don't forget you can always try some on for size at n AD. Browsing will definately be helpful, and fun.

Buy the MBK Nautilus watch.

Watch so good good

best 100% x 1,000,000

dsc08650lh7.jpg

dsc07177mt9.jpg

When I first put on this watch, I said this in my mind: "that's it, I'm done. I don't need any more rep watches - because in my hands I hold perfection."

Grab it from Narikaa.

Corgi's right, if you like the design, and if price isn't an issue, you can't go wrong with a PP Nautilus (and go for the MBK version, it's worth the extra $$). Fits perfectly a small wrist, unlike an MBK Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, and the blue dial is.... fascinating...

i don't know why but that PP Nautilus reminds me the design of some rectangular SEIKO 5s back in 70's.

And it's an ugly one for my taste.

I would choose nothing but a sub, SD or seamaster for the first rep. And i wouldn't care who has it and who does not.

If a date function is a requirement, how about PAM 104 or 029a? The 029a has a GMT feature, which, might be a redundancy with your Rolex GMT, or, it might be an alternative watch rather to one you're not happy with. The 104's a nice simple watch. Not as plain as a 112, as it has both seconds at 9, and a date window, but, if you want a date window, it covers that requirement. PAMs are extremely versatile watches, and, with the right strap, can go with any outfit. Okay, so the 127 is a tad snug under a shirt cuff, but, an 029a or 104 shouldn't have that problem.

Best of luck with your purchase, and welcome to the party :)

If you want a classy watch that is highly well built and would never in a million years be called out the latest Cartier Roadster...white dial (actually its a silver white color) with Roman numerals is hard to beat. I bought one from Joshua and the fit and finish is just top notch...a SUPER super rep. Its got that nice balance between sport and dress so it can be worn with jeans or a suit. Buy it ....you wont regret it.

Wow guys, thanks for the great suggestions. I am going to look at the Roadster and the Nautilus when I get a chance. I think I may have missed out on this buy last night

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=68643

I didn't have time to really do my research.

Back to the grind... Going to check these out later today when I get some downtime.

The Britlings are great watches but really not that good for a business meeting .......more a sport or casual watch. The Cartier Roadster can be worn with a suit or jeans drinking beer at a pub or at a conference table or formal dinner. It really is an overlooked super rep. Outstanding quality. The only thing I will say is that I found it difficult to size the bracelet. I would mention it to the dealer before buying to ensure the one you get is OK. In any case it may be a god idea just to take it to a local watch shop to have it resized so you dont end up scratching the watch in the process.

Thanks dluddy. The "can I pull it off" is a consideration... I am making a resident's salary right now which comes out to about....10$/hr (80hrs a wk...........) I don't think I can wear a watch that could be worth three times what my current vehicle is....

I'm really not a big fan of the SFSO. Too much going on with the dial, and I am for some reason opposed in principle to dive watches made by Breitling, because their timepieces were originally made for pilots, of course. I think about buying in the context of my having unlimited funds in order to keep myself from making a "good buy" on a watch I don't really like. I wouldn't buy the SFSO despite its status as such a great rep. You can bet that I wish I liked it more though....

I need to take a better look at the Roadster. I like it, but I thought that the dial wasn't very well repped. Maybe I'm mistaken. I know that the Santos 100 dial was/is a problem.

I didn't know the Heritage was repped. I think I could be persuaded to get that in addition to a more versatile watch...I picked the gen. out of the Breitling case the other day; IMHO it's one of the best looking Breitlings... so much to think about with so much work to do