When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying Watch Tools

bbell6

Previously I've purchased Bergeon Screwdrivers from Ofrei that were great. I also purchased a case opener off of ebay that was a Chinese made version of the larger Bergeon and the quality was lacking (putting it nicely). Based on this experience, I assume it is best to buy Bergeon or similar quality brand. However, just wondering if it is best to go with Ofrei, or if there are other better alternatives. (I'm looking for just the basics - tweezers, hand pulling tool, cusion etc.) I would appreciate anyones experience or input.

Thanks

B

I think Ofrei is the easiest supplier to purchase from (as long as you know what you need & can order from their online catalog), especially when you are just starting out. If you want to save yourself alot of time & grief, you might just order 1 of the TZ watch school level 1 kits, which are listed in the watch school section of TZ. For most small parts, I go with Ofrei. For more expensive or hard-to-find parts, I may try many sources (including ebay).

julesborel.com, cas-ker.com & cousinsuk.com are also good sources of tools, parts & watchmaking supplies.

If Bob Frei were not completely deranged and insane, OFrei would be my first choice every time... However due to his utter lunacy, I try to shop elsewhere whenever possible. freddy's list pretty much covers the alternatives. Watch-parts in the UK also has excellent customer satisfaction skills and service, but is more watch materials oriented...

I agree that Bob can be cantankerous at times (I sometimes think he reads too many Dr. Bronner's castile soap bottles (if you know these & know Bob, you will know what I mean)), but if you are just placing an order by phone (and know your part numbers), you will probably never speak with him. There are several people in the office that can take parts orders & they are usually quite pleasurable to deal with. Ofrei is rarely the cheapest source for a part, but they usually ship (in stock items) out within 48 hours, so they are very quick. If you need a good quality crystal press or water pressure tester, I would shop around. But when it comes to incidentals like stems, tubes, tweezers, screwdrivers, screws & that sort of thing, Ofrei is usually my 1st (and last) stop.

http://www.ofrei.com/page735.html

Bob doesn't know what business he's in. He thinks he's in the watch tools/materials ordering efficiency business. But he's not. He's in the business of winning and keeping customers - and with me he's failed at it miserably... So therefore he now only gets my money when I strike out elsewhere, regardless of whether or not I'm likely to mix signals with him personally on the phone.

But enough about Bob. :)

http://www.ofrei.com/page735.html

Bob doesn't know what business he's in. He thinks he's in the watch tools/materials ordering efficiency business. But he's not. He's in the business of winning and keeping customers - and with me he's failed at it miserably... So therefore he now only gets my money when I strike out elsewhere, regardless of whether or not I'm likely to mix signals with him personally on the phone.

But enough about Bob. :)

I remember reading that on his web site on one of my first visits. Thought it was odd considering that most businesses would prefer that you send an e-mail rather than calling (they consider it a cost savings). I just assumed he was one of those individuals that was being dragged into the internet era kicking and screaming. From a customer retention standpoint, it is baffling. I'm just curious if he has ever actually tried to charge someone that fee, and if anyone has ever paid it.

Nevertheless, I have a bought a few things from his website and everything has went smoothly (I really like the ergonomic bergeon screwdrivers). Now that I think about it, I actually bought a bergeon spring bar tool along with replacement tips, from someone else recently. I can't remeber the name now, but was impressed that they included extra replacement tips beyond what I ordered at no charge (this was not a mistake - they referenced them). I know I still have there business card at home.

A quick email to Watchmark ( app. collector on this forum ) with a list of what you require,

could be to your advantage.

Just write in plain, easy to understand sentences and you will be fine.

Bob Frei isn't difficult if you know exactly what you are looking for and have case numbers or part numbers when you place your order. I believe that he simply doesn't want to go to the trouble that parts hunting or guessing involves. This tees off customers plus, he adds a fee to check stock. IMO, Juels Borel offers the best service and has better prices. I have found that negotiating Borel's web site is far easier than most others.