When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor sub

polexpete

Hi,

With all this talk about whats real and what isn't i thought i'd show you this. I swapped a few watch parts for a complete Tudor 7016/0 sub in a fairly sorry state with a cheap eta 2840 movement which i believe was use in the plastic Swatches. The folded bracelet is a mixture too with 380 endlinks and a modern clasp which i'm sure is not a gen.

I also have an old Tudor Oysterdate with a Tudor 2483, non-hack movement which is correct for the 7016/0 so i will swap them out.

As you can see from the pics the dial, hands and insert are original and well aged but i don't intend to change them but the case is pretty banged up with dings and deep scratches all over. My question is do you think i should fix the case or will this devalue the watch in anyway.

Thanks for your comments, i'm 99% sure its a gen with crappy movement but if anyone thinks otherwise pls let me know. Hope you can see enough from the pics.

P.

post-3074-1204785623_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204785676_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204785725_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204785766_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204785827_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204785867_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204785899_thumb.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

I personally would not change a thing. Well, I might work on the end pieces to make the fit a little better. But would not refinish the case.

Beautiful watch!!!

Keep it this way. Find a gen acrylic pearl to fit (Never can get used to the hole in the insert sorry). Further it looks magnificent!

Amen! I agree!

I can't stand the pearless insert. I hate the look of the hole! I never understood nor believed that removing the pearl made it look "vintage." Rolex fit a pearl for a reason...I'd replace the pearl.

The insert itself though, looks amazing. I love that bleached look that is a result of 30+ years of cancer causing UVA/B rays.

I personally wouldn't touch the case too much. Over polished and "rounded" cases tend to devalue the watch. Even a vintage Rolex should have fairly sharp corners (unless it was overly polished, which according to Rolex collectors, would devalue it).

Yes, its banged up...but it is a work watch...that is its purpose...so it was used as the manufacturer intended.

I would just give it a gentle polish. We are so used to looking at enlarged pictures. But in reality, a gentle polish would fix or at least smooth out many of the scratches. Damage looks a lot worse when you're viewing it at 1600 x 1200 dpi!

Other than polishing/sanding down a lot of material off the case, I don't know what can be done about deep grooves and scratches. Unless restorers literally weld small chunks of stainless steel to the the case and then sand and polish it back into shape? If you really need to have a new/NOS looking case, you can contact IWW. They do case restorations.