When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fiddy pops its clogs - Or rather its crystal.

kasigi

My Ultimate 127 from Eddie Lee also exploded.. pieces of it landed in my coffee cup .. emailed EL and was told.. well let's just say that is around the time I stopped buying reps from him.. sent it to DSN and never had a problem with the crystal since.. over a year now,.

I'm quite happy to post that chunk of crystal to anyone who has a tester to check and see what it is.

I have the tester(s). If you are really interested, please PM me and I'll give you my address. And thanks for supporting the Replica Science! :)

Bottom line here, if I get one of David's sapphire crystals, what are the chances it'll pop again?

Close to zero. Yours would be the first one.

Vac had the debris and a replacement from Andrew. They were both glass not sapphire. End of story.

Rogerwine

Think what you like. Your risk, not mine. End of story.

Would it be foolish to AR coat a mineral crystal?

Not at all. I did it, and the result is good -- not at the level of sapphire, but 90-95% of it.

A bonus is that by AR coating mineral glass (double AR, I mean) you add to its scratch resistance, while with sapphire you reduce it.

kasigi, what is the serial number of your Fiddy? IIRC, there were far more crystal problems with the 05xx (0581?) serial number than the 0117 case. Some people were theorizing that the different cases exerted different amounts of pressure on the crystal and that the design of the 05xx case made it more prone to broken crystals.

If it's of any help (for future reference, should anything happen) Mine's the 0117 case. The crystal was advertized as sapphire, 'thunks' rather than 'tinks', and water droplets stay beaded rather than spreading, so I think it's safe to say that it is indeed sapphire.