When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR durability

andreww

Re-coat, Strip it or keep it?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. The AR on this PO is badly marked. Should I Re-coat it, Strip it or keep it?

• Re-Coat it. It looks awful
    • Strip it. It looks awful, but re-coating may just wear again.
    • Keep it. It may look bad, but it adds character!

I am a stickler for perfection in appearance in my watches. Desk dive marks are polished out as soon as they appear. I always buy sapphire because if there is one thing that will stop me from wearing a watch, its a scratched crystal. Anyway, I recently picked up this Silix PO that has aftermarket AR from one of our AR providers. As you can see, it makes the crystal vanish and really helps show the dial nicely.

img_3597189.jpg

But, look around the edge of the crystal. The AR is wearing off and just look terrible from certain angles.

img_3598417.jpg

My question is, how has your AR held up? I'm not talking about watches that spend most of their life in the watchbox, I want to know how it stands up to daily wear, water, soap, etc. I'll let you decide if I re-coat, strip, or leave this one as is!

Hi Andrew,

I understand your concern but I voted "Keep it".

I am the opposite of you in fact: I love signs of wear as it trully adds character to the watch.

Of course, no deep scratches/dents nor serious damages.

But a pristine - LikeNew watch, specially a rep of course, just scream "to good to be true".

And by the way, for you Breitling fan, did you notice how fast the genuine AR of a genuine Breitling is damaged.

My friends one is worse than your PO :o .

Cheers

Stephane

I don't understand how this happened since the PO AR is only on the interior. Is it a surface defect in the crystal itself? Hard to tell from the pic.

If it's somehow the AR itself, then I'd strip and recoat. The PO doesn't look good without AR. And I can tell you that, unless you're a gorilla, a coating like mine is going to withstand most of what you throw at it.

EDIT: Oh, you said aftermarket AR... Something must be wrong with that coating. PM me.

Hmm..Doesn't look good. Have you used any cleaning products like cape cod, that might of got on the crystal accidentally? The double AR on my watches have held up great, very unfortunate to have this happen - sorry to hear this friend :(

I've heard people with Gen POs complaining about the outer AR coating stripping, so it's not a situation because it's a rep, but, something which 'just happens'. They said that they removed the outer AR and just kept the interior single-sided AR. That'd be my recommendation for this situation as well. Any re-coat could eventually strip again (even if it lasts years) and you'd be left with the same problem... Far easier to just keep the single-sided AR. Not strictly 1:1 accurate to the gen, but, certainly the more practical option, and, as it's something which has been reported with gen POs anyway, there are likely quite a few gen POs floating around out there with only the internal single-side AR, and I doubt anyone accuses them of being reps ;)

Best of luck :)

Well, looks like you guys are pushing me to re-coat it, sooo....

Maybe this is a good opportunity to to get a good look at how AR effects the look of the watch. Should I mask half the crystal, strip one half of it and take some pics? Let me know? :D