When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Observations of an MBW DRSD

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

Ok, so yesterday I received a beautiful MBW DRSD from another member. It was in such great shape that I felt it might be difficult to to any aging to the case or dial. Well, the Mrs. and kids were gone today so I thought I would start the modding.

First thing to do was remove the movement. Of course it had the standard 2836-2 in it. My first observation was that the datewheel was perfectly aligned on ALL DAYS. It was REALLY going to be hard to do this with the 2846 and UBI that I had sitting here.

I then drilled the spring bar holes. I had recently bought a drill press and the proper bits, so this was pretty straightforward. I actually drilled the holes so tight that I ended up polishing the spring bar tips so that they would glide all the way out and nearly sit flush with the outside of the lugs. I also installed a genuine tube and crown. Crown lines up perfectly and this was the first one that I actually re-tapped the tube hole. She fits as tight as.............

I removed the bezel insert, bleached it for about an hour and used some steel wool to age the edges before snapping it back in. YES I used a couple drops of gorilla glue just to be sure it didnt come out prematurely, but I really dont think it was necessary.

Now on to the movement swap. I first noticed something that concerned me with the original 2836. It appeared that there was epoxy all the way around the movement on the spacer ring. After removing the hands and trying to pull the dial off from the usual spots, it was obvious that the dial was glued on. Using an exacto knife I was able to relove the dial cleanly. AND WHAT DO I FIND??? A dial that didnt have any feet, but originally had feet in the position of 12 and 7. ALSO, the blank was stamped SINGER and had a cut out for a gear. My question is, are all MBW's this way??? I have a few others that I have never bothered to remove the dial from, but I know that they have dial feel for an ETA. Is this one of the NDTrading dial???

Swapping the movements consisted of installing the UBI datewheel that came with the movement. I used 1/2 dial dots at 4 positions to attach it. It took MANY tries, but eventually I got it centered for all dates. Then I used fast setting epoxy to adhere the dial spacer to the movement (3 dots spaced around the movement) and then I used 4 dots of epoxy on the spacer ring to adhere the dial. Putting the hands on and putting the movement back in the watch went without issue. I didnt age the dial simply because it looks pretty good the way it is.

I then realized that the stem that came with the 2846 was different than the one from the 2846. I had not seen this before, arent they the same??? SO, I had to spend another hour grinding down the 2846 stem so that it was the proper size. This took about 8 different installs and removals because since they were different, and I had only one stem I couldnt afford to cut it too short.

All that was left was opening the center tube of the rivited band to accept the gen spring bars and putting the bracelet back on.

My wife is off with the kids and has my digicam, so I will post pics later.

I would LOVE answers concerning the SINGER stamped dia with 1570 feet removed. Thanks all, and pics will be up soon.

post-7311-1205112172_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1205112191_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1205112207_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1205112219_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1205112235_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1205112247_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you had a busy day, congrats on having a go of doing some of this stuff on your own...

In terms of the dial, I believe the MBW dials come stamped Singer on the backs, with the feet already cut off. So I believe that what you observed was an MBW dial, not an aftermarket dial of different origin.

I look forward to seeing some pics!

Guest carlsbadrolex

Ok, I was able to borrow the brother in laws camera. Interestingly, all of the other MBW/MBK watches that I have came with 2836 and dial feet... If it makes a difference, the serial number on this one is 5790266. I MIGHT take it back apart to get pics of the back of the dial, but then again I might not!!!

Pics are up, let me know what you think.

Hi,

Pretty sure its an MBW dial. I've got an NDT dial on my DRSD here's a pic for yer reference.

Cheers

P.

post-3074-1205115920_thumb.jpg

The difference between the MBW dials and some of the better aftermarket dials is worth the investment. The quality difference is significant and a major upgrade for red watches in particular...very nice DRSD Pete.

I'm guessing the SD bracelet half hasn't got to you yet...I mailed something to germany at the same time and I was shocked how quick it got there.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Pete thank you for the reference pic... Its definately not THAT dial. Your picture brings up another question concerning the date wheel. I have a silver datewheel (complete) for 2836 with proper font. I see you are using a silver datewheel, is that correct? I havent seen pictures of a 1665 with silver datewheel.

Thanks everyone... I guess it is a MBW, just different than my others.

The difference between the MBW dials and some of the better aftermarket dials is worth the investment. The quality difference is significant and a major upgrade for red watches in particular...very nice DRSD Pete.

I'm guessing the SD bracelet half hasn't got to you yet...I mailed something to germany at the same time and I was shocked how quick it got there.

Hi Mezzanine,

thanks! don't worry post is a little slow this end but pretty dependable, i'll let you know when it arrives, cheers!

P.

Pete thank you for the reference pic... Its definately not THAT dial. Your picture brings up another question concerning the date wheel. I have a silver datewheel (complete) for 2836 with proper font. I see you are using a silver datewheel, is that correct? I havent seen pictures of a 1665 with silver datewheel.

Thanks everyone... I guess it is a MBW, just different than my others.

Yeah as far as i know all 1575 Rolex movements came with silver datewheels but were often exchanged for white ones when the watches went for servicing hence you sometimes don't see them in all movements. Mine one isn't too accurate though the 26 should be closed and of course the 3's aren't flat...

P.

Ok, so yesterday I received a beautiful MBW DRSD from another member. It was in such great shape that I felt it might be difficult to to any aging to the case or dial. Well, the Mrs. and kids were gone today so I thought I would start the modding.

First thing to do was remove the movement. Of course it had the standard 2836-2 in it. My first observation was that the datewheel was perfectly aligned on ALL DAYS. It was REALLY going to be hard to do this with the 2846 and UBI that I had sitting here.

I then drilled the spring bar holes. I had recently bought a drill press and the proper bits, so this was pretty straightforward. I actually drilled the holes so tight that I ended up polishing the spring bar tips so that they would glide all the way out and nearly sit flush with the outside of the lugs. I also installed a genuine tube and crown. Crown lines up perfectly and this was the first one that I actually re-tapped the tube hole. She fits as tight as.............

I removed the bezel insert, bleached it for about an hour and used some steel wool to age the edges before snapping it back in. YES I used a couple drops of gorilla glue just to be sure it didnt come out prematurely, but I really dont think it was necessary.

Now on to the movement swap. I first noticed something that concerned me with the original 2836. It appeared that there was epoxy all the way around the movement on the spacer ring. After removing the hands and trying to pull the dial off from the usual spots, it was obvious that the dial was glued on. Using an exacto knife I was able to relove the dial cleanly. AND WHAT DO I FIND??? A dial that didnt have any feet, but originally had feet in the position of 12 and 7. ALSO, the blank was stamped SINGER and had a cut out for a gear. My question is, are all MBW's this way??? I have a few others that I have never bothered to remove the dial from, but I know that they have dial feel for an ETA. Is this one of the NDTrading dial???

Swapping the movements consisted of installing the UBI datewheel that came with the movement. I used 1/2 dial dots at 4 positions to attach it. It took MANY tries, but eventually I got it centered for all dates. Then I used fast setting epoxy to adhere the dial spacer to the movement (3 dots spaced around the movement) and then I used 4 dots of epoxy on the spacer ring to adhere the dial. Putting the hands on and putting the movement back in the watch went without issue. I didnt age the dial simply because it looks pretty good the way it is.

I then realized that the stem that came with the 2846 was different than the one from the 2846. I had not seen this before, arent they the same??? SO, I had to spend another hour grinding down the 2846 stem so that it was the proper size. This took about 8 different installs and removals because since they were different, and I had only one stem I couldnt afford to cut it too short.

All that was left was opening the center tube of the rivited band to accept the gen spring bars and putting the bracelet back on.

My wife is off with the kids and has my digicam, so I will post pics later.

I would LOVE answers concerning the SINGER stamped dia with 1570 feet removed. Thanks all, and pics will be up soon.

Hi !

SINGER is stamped on the genuine Rolex dials so perhaps it is a real original Rolex dial You got !???

Guest carlsbadrolex

Well, just to see what I actually had I opened up two other MBW's this morning. Both of them had standard eta dials with no Singer stamp. Interestingly, it appears that the silver date wheel that I have DOES have flat three's and closed 6's. Maybe I will take out the UBI and put that one in it.

Thanks for all the great info.