When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tourneau Chicago Busted My B*lls

beanyboy

I finally realized that I was going to wait forever for the version of the Chronomat Evoloution TT that I wanted (the one with white subdials instead of gold ones), so I bought the rep version available today. It's a doozie. But I wasn't too pleased with the croco-fake band that it came with (not bad, but I have learned that it's worthwhile to spend money for a real band on a rep, then nobody but a true expert can tell), so I decided to walk over to the Tourneau store near my house and lay my money down for a genuine Breitling brown crocodile band. I made the mistake of wearing the watch, thinking that the Tourneau guy couldn't care less that I have rep. Well, he did. He said that he couldn't sell me the gen band for a rep watch, that Breitling could pull Tourneau's dealership if they found out, and that in fact Breiltling had just so informed Tourneau and all its authorized dealers!

Ironically, the Tourneau guy loved my rep, and looked visibly shaken that such good reps are out there now. So you can see why all are concerned. Why spend $4500, when you can spend $260, plus another $230 for a gen band, and have the same thing, more or less?

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with all of you on RWG...the lesson is not to take you rep with you. I think if I'd just gone in and said I wanted the 22mm brown crocodile band for a deployant buckle, they would have sold it to me.

I bought a few ZRC (Zuccolo Rochet) padded straps for breitling watches and they are a pretty good match. The padded styles in regular tanned or black leather list for about $40 but sell for a bit less.

The $230 breitling strap is a $50 strap imho.

The ZRC straps I used were the oil treated padded 'Nautical Calf' aka Aquacalf.

Picture...

http://www.watchbattery.co.uk/shop/Sports_Watch_Straps.shtml

Yep, not a good idea. Must have been a bit awkward.

I live in Chicago and a few months ago I was in Tourneau scoping out the Rolex DJs, I'm thinking of getting a custom one from Ruby.

When I go to Tourneau the only watch I wear is my gen Ulysse Nardin 1846 chronometer, they're always impressed and show me anything I want.

So I'm in there looking at Rollies and the saleslady launches into this spiel about how good the Folex reps are and how I should only buy from authorized AD, paying full MSRP of course, and not trust anyone else.

I played along, inwardly chuckling the whole time.

Ironically, the Tourneau guy loved my rep, and looked visibly shaken that such good reps are out there now. So you can see why all are concerned. Why spend $4500, when you can spend $260, plus another $230 for a gen band, and have the same thing, more or less?

It shows that the Tourneau rep is possibly uninformed about how "good" the reps are. Sure, they may look good on the outside, but the gen is leaps and bounds ahead of the rep in function and quality.

Most people usually come in there and buy an accessory for the watch they're currently wearing, since they don't know the offhand measurements they need and etc. That's why they'll also change it for you as well!

I guess this is another lesson learned not to wear your rep into the AD. Invest a couple bucks in the Lello DW and a gen bezel and maybe you can feel more confident.

And I recommend other dealers along the Miracle Mile if you're going to get a gen strap again. They may be able to give you a slight discount.

I made the mistake of wearing the watch, thinking that the Tourneau guy couldn't care less that I have rep. Well, he did.

Congratulations!

you have succesfully broken one of the (unwritten) rules of the comunity...DO NOT WEAR A REP TO THE AD!

Edited by dadog13

Yeah you need to be more carefull, our little hobby isn't excatly mainstream and we sorta like it that way. Goin into any AD with a rep can be hazardous to the heatlh of this community and this industry.

Either don't walk in, or slip it in your pocket before opening the door, of course not everyone at an AD is trained to spot the fakes and I would bet most don't care but still better safe than sorry.

He spotted it on your wrist, or did you take it off? Pretty good eyes on that guy if he didn't handle it.

I try to buy everything on a bracelet, then source a strap later. I don't think there are any reps out there with a good leather strap, maybe they should get some of those "ex-Hermes employees" that apparently are all over China to help them out with that.

i was in a newly open Tourneau store in Natick, Mass this past sunday and i wore my iwc slevin rep. I was approached by

2 different sale persons but i was just brushed them off. I was looking at the iwc section of watches and my rep slevin looks

almost like the real thing. I was affraid showing my rep and i didn't.

I would like to come back next time and i either have to wear my gen rolex gmt II or my gen omega PO then i can try on a few PP and maybe asking questions.

that was my first time being in Tourneau store and it has all the expensive watches. I manage to pick up one of their new catalog.

in my opion it is a good place to secretly compare our rep against their gen.

I apologize in advance in going off topic, but... three points:

1) I recommend Tourneau only as a last resort if you go to buy a gen, and also if you absoultely HAVE to go AD. There are many other places to go to that won't make you feel pressured to make a decision and others that are apt to discount more than Tourneau usually would if you do have intentions to buy. I made the newbie mistake of buying my first gens from Tourneau. Let me tell you that it's like pulling teeth even to get them to sell it to you @ MSRP w/o tax.

2) They like "sizing" up their consumers (at least I felt that way when I went to the Time Machine on 57th) and I have never been to an AD besides this one where they warn me that it "is possibly out of your budget" before they take it out of the display case. This is not to say that about everyone, though. I went to another one on 5th Ave and one rep who was a Breitling enthusiast let me browse through and mount straps for an hour before I chose to buy. He must have been so good at what he does because my intention was to go in there and spend $130 on a calf strap. I ended up walking out of there with a credit card, a Chrono-matic, two croc straps and a spare Ti bracelet.

3) About OP's post: The posts like these always seem to perpretually appear. Does anyone read the "golden rules" of rep collecting anymore?

Well I guess you will think twice about wearing a rep to an AD. But as was previously said I would wait three times before walking into Tourneau. They are the worst. They are useful for comparing gen to rep though. :lol: Breitling straps are readily available anywhere You don't have to walk into an AD. Most will take the order over the phone with a credit card. And if they won't they probably can't get you the part without months wait.

Screw Tourneau and screw Howard Frum !!!! If you live in Chicago go with Razney's in either Highland Park or in Addison. They are always wonderful to deal with I purchase my gens from them or Jared (although Jared does not have Breitling and only their St. Charles, Aurora and Orland stores have Rolex- I prefer St. Charles) Wore my RXW MM20 into Razney's one time and they all fawned on it and wanted to know about it while I purchased a Rolesium Yachtie!!! Sorry to disagree with anyone but I prefer to deal with Authorized dealers especially with what we know about replicas using gen parts . I would never buy a Rolex from anyone but an AD.

Yeah, never wear reps to an AD. I wont wear any of my reps, even those with gen parts, to an AD. Just don't feel like dealing with their BS about buying reps.

If they tell ya how good the reps are nowadays, then yes - why buy a gen, right? :)

@dvn, when the natick store opened, they pulled all thier best vintage pieces from surrounding stores for the opening. they had every vintage rolex you could imagine. it was amazing. I was just there last sunday. put my upo in my pocket. i tried on a few pieces. the sales man said "you must wear something big" as he looked at my watch tan. i said yea, a planet ocean big size. he smiled, said very nice dive watch. have you ever considered a seadweller? I told him I owned a very similar watch, but its not an everyday kinda watch.

on a side note, i went into another Tourneau and asked to purchase a pro diver strap. he asked what i was going to wear it on and I said my seiko diver. I told him i hated the seiko band and loved my buddies prodiver, and wanted to buy one.

they ordered it, and that was that. well thats my bit... good luck

You two were at the Natick Tourneau! Sweet, I was there literally 4 hours ago (my hometown is close to Natick...) and I love Tourneau's selection. I've always dealt with the tall bald guy (Muhammad) who sold me my gen Seamaster.

@Urabus- Their vintage rollie selection was amazing...this month they're having a big "trunk show" where they're selling over 3 thousand vintage / pre owned omegas, rollies, etc... might be fun to check out (you'd have to call the store for the date)

Congratulations!

you have succesfully broken one of the (unwritten) rules of the comunity...DO NOT WEAR A REP TO THE AD!

True enough. I didn't wear it in there to show it off and, in fact, only intended to buy the band and put it on myself. The band the woman brought out was a 20mm and not a 22mm, and I said to her that this won't fit. Then she saw my watch and said if it's an older Chronomat it would take the 20mm, not the 22mm. I said it was the new larger incarnation and she said, the band on that watch is off, it's a fake. At that point I couldn't lie. But I didn't know she would bust my chops about it.

Anyway, live and learn as they say. And I do have two gens, and I agree that Tourneau isn't the best place to buy a watch.

It shows that the Tourneau rep is possibly uninformed about how "good" the reps are. Sure, they may look good on the outside, but the gen is leaps and bounds ahead of the rep in function and quality.

Most people usually come in there and buy an accessory for the watch they're currently wearing, since they don't know the offhand measurements they need and etc. That's why they'll also change it for you as well!

I guess this is another lesson learned not to wear your rep into the AD. Invest a couple bucks in the Lello DW and a gen bezel and maybe you can feel more confident.

And I recommend other dealers along the Miracle Mile if you're going to get a gen strap again. They may be able to give you a slight discount.

Anton, let me know what dealer on Michigan Avenue will discount a Breitling strap! Fantastic.

Beany