When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

to the non us-resident members... Canada+abroad!

92tru

hey everyone! Its been awhile, but I am in the all-too-familiar 'waiting' stage of having a rep in transit. I haven't shipped anything like this or jewelery over the boarder in quite some time. I know fellow Canadians used to detest UPS when it came to these and our choosy custom laws, since we would incur excessive "brokerage/customs" fees upon delivery of the item.

Imagine waiting an extra 2 days for the item to clear customs, and then when the item is finally waiting for your signature, you have to pay another percentage based off the items "WORTH"........ i think in the land of replica watches, this could be quite a grey area, no? even on things such as USED BOOKS, ppl have been known to pay more than the items cost, just to finally get them.

Are any of u still getting gouged by UPS when it comes receiving these or any other shipments? I'm just hoping for no surprises as I forgot to inform the seller to mark the package as a warranty-repair item

Feedback, experiences, advice? Post it up!

Edited by 92tru

UPS rapes you on this bullshite issue,no question....Fedex charged me only 10 bucks on a 4k SA i just bought,that was cool....i recall UPS charging me $75 or so for under 1k worth of business supplies i bought not long ago....

I'm in Toronto and prefer USPS,EMS or i guess Fedex is fine......no UPS.... :angry:

I agree on UPS raping, disagree on the Fedex being fine [this is non-Canada specific]. They're just as bad - got a $50 processing fee off them just the other day for something that would be free is sent via mail. Not just that, but they were incompetent at invoicing and processing that fee too - so far they've sent me the invoice eight times, three times once in one day - all long after it had been paid, and it would have been paid sooner except they couldn't accept cc payments after 5pm. :rolleyes:

Get it sent by regular mail if you can, it's often faster too.

From TO as well...

USPS is preferred, but you will get charged a $5 assessment fee generally, plus GST+PST, unless the item is declared with a value under USD$25.

UPS for GROUND shipping, would charge brokerage and only GST...and the brokerage was based on the declared value...so could be expensive. On express options, no brokerage is charged but you may pay taxes. The moral of the story from my experiences with UPS (about 100 packages) is, if it's light send it by Express or envelope if possible (flat rate). If it's heavy and cheap, ground is good!!

I never use FedEx so I can't speak for that.

I've never been charged anything on a rep watch...they just get left at the door...don't even have to sign for it...which makes for a great surprise when I come home from work.

In Calgary...EMS required full signage at the depot for pickup (not the case in TO)...go figger.

ugh, looks like im in for a nasty brown surprise...

looks like brown gouges on everything that gets handled by them.. i used to get autoparts, and that wasn't fun..

maybe we can bring some ideas into the discussion..

i've tried USPS ground for some autoparts and once it was declared as $300, i had to pay 20% of that in brokerages to clear it.

i also found that USPS's tracking is pretty subpar, often with items still being stuck at the boarder. With UPS being somewhat more reasonable, but often out of order in its accuracy.

found items from overseas thru EMS are often cleared and any fees are absorbed in the cost of airpost.... shipping ground doesn't get the same luxury..

any horror stories?

hey everyone! Its been awhile, but I am in the all-too-familiar 'waiting' stage of having a rep in transit. I haven't shipped anything like this or jewelery over the boarder in quite some time. I know fellow Canadians used to detest UPS when it came to these and our choosy custom laws, since we would incur excessive "brokerage/customs" fees upon delivery of the item.

Imagine waiting an extra 2 days for the item to clear customs, and then when the item is finally waiting for your signature, you have to pay another percentage based off the items "WORTH"........ i think in the land of replica watches, this could be quite a grey area, no? even on things such as USED BOOKS, ppl have been known to pay more than the items cost, just to finally get them.

Are any of u still getting gouged by UPS when it comes receiving these or any other shipments? I'm just hoping for no surprises as I forgot to inform the seller to mark the package as a warranty-repair item

Feedback, experiences, advice? Post it up!

Yes UPS charges high brokerage in Canada

looks like brown gouges on everything that gets handled by them.. i used to get autoparts, and that wasn't fun..

maybe we can bring some ideas into the discussion..

They don't if you ship express. For small items, Express can actually be pretty reasonable...and I've had extremely good reliability with brown...and they do a really late end of day pickup time for me which is great for last minute pickups as I'm at the end of their pickup route, so I can call in as late as 1730h and still get a pickup THAT DAY!!

UPS rapes me on a montly basis (not with rep, but usual business) They are the worst. Fedex is a bit less costly, DHL too. USPS is the way to go.

USPS is your local taxes + 5$.. others are taxes + variable fees (from 10$ to god-only-knows)

Last week, UPS asked me $17 fees for an item of $20us. (and I already paid $70 for a $200 and $180 for a PDA of $200us) This is how stupid UPS can be.

Don't forget, on "swiss made" watch (well any watch that is not Casio or Timex :p) you have an extra 15% fees for import..

USPS is preferred, but you will get charged a $5 assessment fee generally, plus GST+PST, unless the item is declared with a value under USD$25.

just correction, it's $20 CND not $25usd.. $50CND if there is the "gift" mark on the declaration.

Edited by vric