When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Slate BCE outer dial color

szvwj

I was excited when I heard that Angus might have a version with the dark outer dial, but it wasn't the case.

This is the response I received from Angus:

Actually it has a grey outer dial but just the light reflection shows it is black.

Sorry about that.

I'm now looking into ordering the black/silver subdial watch and a slate dial seperately (oh the price of being picky!)

I just found out from Ruby that it's possible to purchase a separate Slate-Grey dial.

So... I'll be purchasing the black/silver subdial BCE and a separate slate-grey dial (thanks Mickey Padge).

When I get tired of the Black/Silver version, I'll install the Slate-Grey dial (and maybe upgrade the lume at the same time).

It will be a while, but when it's done, I'll post pictures.

Update:

My limited knowledge of Breitling dials may have lead me down the wrong path.

As I stated in a previous post, my intent was to purchase the black/silver BCE and a separate slate-grey dial. Once I received the package, I would replace the inner (black/silver) dial with the Slate Grey dial giving me the correct color combination (Slate Grey inner dial, Black outer dial).

Ruby was kind enough to source a Slate dial and a black/silver BCE (see picture).

It appears, unfortunately, that the inner and outer dial is ONE PIECE. Can anyone confirm this (can they be separated easily)?

I'm still going to purchase these items from Ruby, but it appears that my "brilliant" idea may be a flop.

BCEandDial.jpg

They may look one piece, but I am pretty sure they are held together with three pins (three holes in the dials outer edge) and a tiny amount of glue. I am positive a watchsmith could seperate them. ^_^

Another forum member confirmed the three pin theory too, in another similar thread. So unless they have changed how the dials are made you should be fine, Just get an expert to do the job....

If they are the pictures Ruby sent you, then it looks like a sweet watch she has picked out for you! B)

When I get tired of the Black/Silver version, I'll install the Slate-Grey dial (and maybe upgrade the lume at the same time).

It will be a while, but when it's done, I'll post pictures.

I was about to reply that the lume is pretty terrific already, that at 6 a.m. I could still make out the time easily ... but then I remembered how I'd had The Zigmeister upgrade the lume last fall, and how pathetic the lume was before The Zigmeister. (I wonder if he could relume my memory so I don't forget details like this?)

Honestly, the subtle difference of the rehaut from the gen slate version is less of an issue than the lume. The lume, after all, makes a significant impact on the usability of the watch. Do that and you will have a fantastic rep.

He should re-lume your whole brain, you are obviously not that bright! :lol:

Sorry, a joke I could not resist, not seriously meant at all :p:D

None taken.......................

What were we just talking about????

They may look one piece, but I am pretty sure they are held together with three pins (three holes in the dials outer edge) and a tiny amount of glue. I am positive a watchsmith could seperate them. ^_^

Thanks for the information, I'll confirm, when I get the package, if the outer dial is removable (it would be so nice if it is).

Don't re-lume your brain... it will make your snot glow!

Yesterday, I received the black/silver subdial BCE and the separate slate-grey dial. The BCE looks so much better in person than in pictures!! Now I know why everyone likes this watch so much.

Anyway, I took the Watch (and Dial) to my favorite watch smith. I told him what I wanted to have done, which required an explanation of why I wanted to change such a beautiful watch. He looked at the Slate Dial and said that because of the glue, he could NOT separate the outer dial from the inner dial (too much risk of chipping the inner dial). He spent a few minutes trying to separate the pieces, but stopped.

It looks like I'll have to:

1. Find another watch smith.

2. Give up on this project (and still have an awesome watch)

3. See if I can purchase a Slate inner dial and a Black outer dial (assembled or not).

By the way the lume on this watch isn't too bad. I'm not sure I'll have it Super-lumed (i'm definitely keeping lume out of my nose).

Yesterday, I received the black/silver subdial BCE and the separate slate-grey dial. The BCE looks so much better in person than in pictures!! Now I know why everyone likes this watch so much.

Anyway, I took the Watch (and Dial) to my favorite watch smith. I told him what I wanted to have done, which required an explanation of why I wanted to change such a beautiful watch. He looked at the Slate Dial and said that because of the glue, he could NOT separate the outer dial from the inner dial (too much risk of chipping the inner dial). He spent a few minutes trying to separate the pieces, but stopped.

It looks like I'll have to:

1. Find another watch smith.

2. Give up on this project (and still have an awesome watch)

3. See if I can purchase a Slate inner dial and a Black outer dial (assembled or not).

By the way the lume on this watch isn't too bad. I'm not sure I'll have it Super-lumed (i'm definitely keeping lume out of my nose).

It would of been cool if the 2 pieces easily came apart. I'm afraid any watch smith would damage it.