When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Moon Watch Advice

kenmasters

Any insight from those who know Omegas and the history of Moon watches? If i was interested in getting a gen 3750, would you purchase a vintage cal.861 or a more modern cal.1861 ? Sapphire or Hesalite and what to look out for ?

Any suggested places to look for used omegas other than ebay? gen forums maybe?

Thanks! :)

K

Why do you want a Moon watch? If it's for the whole NASA thing, go vintage hesselite. This is where I'll be going. Anything up to a 70s model is conceivably a proper "Moon Watch", ie. could be of a batch worn by Apollo Astronauts. :)

If you want a modern classic, go for the latest sapphire handwind, or for a bargain, go for the Reduced/Automatic. You can pick up a brand new "Reduced" for mighty cheap.

As Pug said if you want the 'classic' moon watch get the Speedmaster Professional 3570.50 with solid case back and hesalite ctrystal. The change from 861 to 1861 involved adding an extra jewel. As far as anyone can conclusively prove an 861 has not been on the moon everything points to the watches used by Apollo were 321 calibres.

However the 861 was re-tested by NASA in the early 70s. For more info on the Speedmaster google Chuck Maddox or try speedmaster-mission.net.

You can pick up a modern Speedy Pro on the bay for a reasonable price, especially from Japan as there is a high turn over of watches there.

Happy hunting!

As Pug said if you want the 'classic' moon watch get the Speedmaster Professional 3570.50 with solid case back and hesalite ctrystal. The change from 861 to 1861 involved adding an extra jewel. As far as anyone can conclusively prove an 861 has not been on the moon everything points to the watches used by Apollo were 321 calibres.

However the 861 was re-tested by NASA in the early 70s. For more info on the Speedmaster google Chuck Maddox or try speedmaster-mission.net.

You can pick up a modern Speedy Pro on the bay for a reasonable price, especially from Japan as there is a high turn over of watches there.

Happy hunting!

Fully agree.

There is no reason to deliberate between the 861 and 1861 so the choice really is between the older 321 and the 861/1861, and that will come down to price and condition v history. I was able to buy a 'new' classic 1861 Moonwatch with solid back and Hesalite crystal on ebay for exactly 57% of the current retail price. Mine was 2 months old with all boxes & papers and the protective seals in place. As far as I can tell it was unworn, so it demonstrates that there are bargains out there.

Personally I wouldn't go for the reduced size auto. I don't think that it's any coincidence that these can be bought cheaply as I don't consider that they deliver the 'Moonwatch experience'. Buy a proper Moonwatch the way I bought mine and you will be certain to have made a good investment.

Thanks. How can I forget about the cal. 321 ! I may be wearing this watch daily, so the only thing I'm afraid of vintages is that it'll wear it down quicker.. 321s requiring more servicing than a 861/1861? I do prefer the authentic moon watch ! but I'm on a budget of $1000 - $2000 for a Gen.

I do prefer the authentic moon watch ! but I'm on a budget of $1000 - $2000 for a Gen.

You'll get an 861/1861 in that price range reasonably easily if you err towards the 2k end :-)

Unfortunately you've got no chance of a 321 unless you change the $ into

Edited by baltic