When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona 6263 from Silix

AllergyDoc

I receive his watch from Silix today as a replacement for a SS white dial modal that arrived damaged. I had asked Silix for the updated manual wind version seen on the PerfectClones and Trustytime sites, the one with the faux needle at 12:00 and the exotic subdials.. He/she said okay, then sent this one. (Pics taken in low light.)

SilixTona007.jpg

No exotic subdials and a very pronounced rotor sound.The rotor sounds like the descriptions members give of their cheapo Chopards.

At 37mm it's quite small. Tiny compared to the BCE I wore today. But it is a very attractive dial. (If only I could see it better!)

It has the vintage clasp:

SilixTona003.jpg

But no riveted bracelet, which I thought it had. The bracelet is as light and flimsy as they come. I had to tight the size adjustment a notch to keep it from rattling about on my wrist.

SilixTona009.jpg

SilixTona010.jpg

Wrist shot:

SilixTona002.jpg

Close up of the dial:

SilixTona011.jpg

The gen:

G001.jpg

Looking at the two, it's a very good copy. Nothing to do about the irregular spacing of the pushers.

While this watch is not what has come to be known as the "Paul Newman" because it lacks the exotic subdials, but it appears it is the model Paul Newman actually wore and continues to wear today, a watch given him by his wife.

Perhaps I'll try to open it and tighten the rotor. After that, I'll check into better bracelets.

That's if I don't sell it first or give it to my wife because it will certainly fit her wrist better than mine. :D

So wait, you were supposed to get a manual, but got a rotor? Makes the case back too big. I like that watch either way, I never looked twice at daytonas until I saw the vintage models. If I get another one it's going to be the DW 7750 with white dial and SS bezel.

I just bought a 19mm 7350 rolled link bracelet from luenfat, I'll post up when I get it and install it.

Is yours 19mm or 20mm BTW? Should be 19mm with rolled links. I don't see any coming in with rolled links, and a bunch have 20mm lugs.

20mm.

The bracelet is really sharp*. That's gotta be fixed.

But, damn if this dial isn't beautiful!

* As in "ouch!"

Also just noticed that the "A"'s in "DAYTONA" are pointed, not flat. Perhaps there were different gen dials? It's likely.

Edited by AllergyDoc

The A's are the least of the problems with these watchs though......If you want it as near to the gen as possible then the DW cases are the only way to go.

These watches are ok but not close enough to be worrying about the A's on the dials.

Do a search for posts by Freddy333 and you'll see what I mean.

Sometimes, though, don't we like watches because we. . . Well, we just LIKE the way they look, regardless of how close they are to the genuine article.

I know I do. :)

I went through that stage myself & it makes sense with some watches, but not Daytonas. Vintage Daytonas are thoroughbreds, as pure as a Ferrari Daytona. As you learn more about these iconic watches & your experience level increases, you will change your mind. Trust me on this, I have been there. And just about everyone else who has been there will tell you the same thing.

I went through that stage myself & it makes sense with some watches, but not Daytonas. Vintage Daytonas are thoroughbreds, as pure as a Ferrari Daytona. As you learn more about these iconic watches & your experience level increases, you will change your mind. Trust me on this, I have been there. And just about everyone else who has been there will tell you the same thing.

I AM of course only saying this to pull your leg, but you are telling us that ignorance is bliss? lol

For the record, I do agree with you and appreciate your insight immensely.

Just noticed, that coronet on the crown looks pretty darn good compared to other rep triplocks. BIG. Little too big, but way better than the tiny ones on most.

Every rep Triplock I have seen looks exactly like this 1 does. The biggest giveaway are the wide, flattened dots.

Ubi posted a set of pictures comparing gen & rep Triplock crowns early last year (or maybe the year before). It is worth searching out.

Every rep Triplock I have seen looks exactly like this 1 does. The biggest giveaway are the wide, flattened dots.

Ubi posted a set of pictures comparing gen & rep Triplock crowns early last year (or maybe the year before). It is worth searching out.

BTW - did they use triplock crowns on early Daytonas? Wasn't it the crown with the underline that was used?