When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona with some upgrades, can you spot them?

RWG Technical

Is this the standard daytona rep case for mimicking the older primero daytona - or does one have to buy a special case. Ubi - you are the expert on this right?

I seem to remember that MBW made a more genuine case or something like that.

Well, I don't know if I qualify as an expert, but I'm certainly familiar with these.

Typically, the cases that I have worked with for these 16520's are made specifically for the El Primero 400 movements. They are quite nice, though comparing with my gen cased franken Daytona, there are some very slight differences.

As for the case featured in this thread... I'm not certian if it is one of the MBW cases or not. It looks very similar, though if Ziggy had to do some custom fitting work to get the movement to seat, it's possible that it may be of different origin. My black dial Daytona is one of the MBW sourced cases; that one was pretty straight forward regarding install/fitting (i.e. no machining work required)...

Dial and hands were sold to me as Gen parts.

None the less, you have a great watch. BTW, sourcing a genuine dial and hand set is not so difficult these days, especially if you are after white. I see those for sale periodically. Black dials, however seem to surface less frequently...

However, the dial/hand sets may add another $1500 (or more, depending on dial type and who you're buying from) to the total. Not a bad deal if you are dealing with Euro or GBP currencies ;) And, worth the price paid, in my humble opinion...

194_9473.jpg

202_0299.jpg

Again, great Daytona! Ziggy did a fantastic job on it! :)

Edited by ubiquitous

WOW thats awesome!

I want to build the same watch some day... Its going to be a long road of gathering parts. I cant wait to see some more pics later with the bracelet attached. :wub:

dizz