When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does anyone think theres anything wrong with wearing an Oyster flip-lock on a Datejust?

DemonSlayer

My jubilee bracelet was annoying me, a few of the screws weren't coming out and I was just fed up with the light cheap feeling bracelet :lol:

A user on RWI was selling a jubilee bracelet and an Oyster, what I didn't realise that the oyster was for models such as GMT master II or Explorer II. I bought both and I installed the oyster on my Datejust. Today I realised that its the wrong model bracelet for the Datejust, from what I found out, no Datejust oyster bracelets have a flip-lock.

However I've left it on because I prefer it way more than the Jubilee, and it gives the watch more weight :) I realise that people who know their Rolex will instantly spot a wrong bracelet on a Datejust, but from the pictures, is there anything wrong aesthetically with this bracelet on the Datejust?

datejustwrist-01.jpg

datejustwrist-02.jpg

:o wow, thanks for that ice, thats a new type oyster bracelet, never seen that one before. My one is basically like a sub bracelet, but with polished mid-links, very similar to the YM bracelet.

BTW, there are some models of Datejust without any "ROLEX" engraved on the rehaut, check out the picture below:

datejust001.jpg

Yes, I know its the wrong bracelet, but it still looks good ;) I prefer it to the jubilee. I might source a proper Datejust oyster bracelet and keep this one as a spare for my soon to come YM.

I also prefer no engravings on the rehaut, but oh well, not bad for a cheapie asian 21J :)

Yes, I know its the wrong bracelet, but it still looks good ;) I prefer it to the jubilee.

Its a personal preference. I wore my genuine submariner with a regular datejust style clasp for about three years (bought the extra clasp when I bought the watch). At the time, my wrist was smaller and the regular clasp centered up better on my wrist. Most people outside of these watch forums won't know the difference anyway. A person owning the genuine watch might also prefer the divers clasp and have it put on their datejust as you have chosen to do. Just because a watch isn't exactly the way it was originally set up doesn't have any bearing on whether it is genuine.

post-175-1206987023_thumb.jpg

My frankenjust 16014 has a stainless oyster band with the fliplock- it came off a Submariner rep. I prefer it that way myself.

A friend of mine has the old ss 6694 Oysterdate Precision with the oyster fliplock band (19mm), so I'm sure you could get something like that from the AD- all it takes is money!