When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek reps

rblippy

Hi blippy,

Interesting question. Patek is actually my favorite brand, and I was just as shocked as you to discover the many inaccuracies plaguing the available reps. Although high in amount, the majority of them do not even come near to the original design. There are a few models that are somewhat close to their gen counterparts (5119,5070,5130, 5002 sort of, 5165 come to mind right away) But these are definitely not perfect, and any connoisseur could call out the owner instantly.

I'm not sure why they are so unavailable, but I think it has something to do with the exclusivity of the brand and the complicated nature of the watches. There are very few people who can actually afford the genuines, so reps will usually be perceived as bogus from the general public simply because "nobody can afford a patek". Most rep buyers want to get a watch with some believability factor, meaning something they could actually afford in genuine iteration. A Patek won't cut it for most - unless they sell their home or car.

I have been waiting and waiting for a good Patek "super rep" but I think we just have to agree it ain't going to come. For lovers of the brand on a budget, the Nautilus and Aquanaut from MBK will just have to suffice for now.

Hi blippy,

Interesting question. Patek is actually my favorite brand, and I was just as shocked as you to discover the many inaccuracies plaguing the available reps. Although high in amount, the majority of them do not even come near to the original design. There are a few models that are somewhat close to their gen counterparts (5119,5070,5130, 5002 sort of, 5165 come to mind right away) But these are definitely not perfect, and any connoisseur could call out the owner instantly.

I'm not sure why they are so unavailable, but I think it has something to do with the exclusivity of the brand and the complicated nature of the watches. There are very few people who can actually afford the genuines, so reps will usually be perceived as bogus from the general public simply because "nobody can afford a patek". Most rep buyers want to get a watch with some believability factor, meaning something they could actually afford in genuine iteration. A Patek won't cut it for most - unless they sell their home or car.

I have been waiting and waiting for a good Patek "super rep" but I think we just have to agree it ain't going to come. For lovers of the brand on a budget, the Nautilus and Aquanaut from MBK will just have to suffice for now.

If you are looking for a patek super rep, then the mbk/mbw's will have to do.

But simple Calatrava's are pretty good, ok they are not platinum but there are some good ones.

patek5196xd9.jpg

I've also had my eye out for an Aquanaut, the one I remember seeing on a rubber strap which was pretty decent from what I can remember.

ST

The same goes for Lange and Sohne. According to my recollection there is nothing close.

As a start they should move the sub-dials below the 3 and 9 for a good start.

Wouldn't be great to see a Double Split Flyback??

I've also had my eye out for an Aquanaut, the one I remember seeing on a rubber strap which was pretty decent from what I can remember.

Accuracy was on par with the Nautilus in my opinion. There were some errors but, like most MBK, I recall the quality was good. I have seen only one person on the forums with this watch, so in terms of exclusivity, it is a good choice. I, personally, despise absolutely everything about the Aquanaut - in my opinion it is absolutely foul and horrendous looking and I certainly won't pay $400 just because it is a Patek rep from MBK. The Nautilus is more than I need to be satisfied, really.

Accuracy was on par with the Nautilus in my opinion. There were some errors but, like most MBK, I recall the quality was good. I have seen only one person on the forums with this watch, so in terms of exclusivity, it is a good choice. I, personally, despise absolutely everything about the Aquanaut - in my opinion it is absolutely foul and horrendous looking and I certainly won't pay $400 just because it is a Patek rep from MBK. The Nautilus is more than I need to be satisfied, really.

Patek's standard bearer model, the Ref. No. 3919 Calatrava, used to be available in a great version from River. I bought mine from River about four or five years ago, and it's a mainstay of my dress rep collection. I have a friend with an original, and we compared them, and they are nearly identical, other than weight. My rep came with a bad strap, but I put on a nice Hirsch real black crocodile band, and nobody can tell the differnece. There are seveal inexpensive 3919 reps available, buth they are not the same quality as the River super-rep. I would email him and see if he can't get you one. Manual movement in it keeps time accurately to =/- 6 seconds every 24 hours. Not bad, eh?

Patek's standard bearer model, the Ref. No. 3919 Calatrava, used to be available in a great version from River. I bought mine from River about four or five years ago, and it's a mainstay of my dress rep collection. I have a friend with an original, and we compared them, and they are nearly identical, other than weight. My rep came with a bad strap, but I put on a nice Hirsch real black crocodile band, and nobody can tell the differnece. There are seveal inexpensive 3919 reps available, buth they are not the same quality as the River super-rep. I would email him and see if he can't get you one. Manual movement in it keeps time accurately to =/- 6 seconds every 24 hours. Not bad, eh?