When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO - Observation & Questions

jc0515

I've been away from the forums for awhile, but I recently returned and purchased a UPO 45mm...was actually thinking of purchasing the gen. I purchased the "pumpkin", and it really gets a lot of comments. Thinking about changing to the black bezel for a more subtle look, but I'm liking the orange so far.

I'll start off by saying that I am very happy with this one. We've all gone through the little "flaws" in a rep, but this one is incredibly good. The thing that really struck me is how accurate this one turned out to be time-wise. Just for kicks, I log a new watch to see what kind of accuracy, but I don't get too wrapped up in it. Well, I've been timing this guy for a few days now and I cannot believe that it is SPOT ON! ...maybe a second off atomic in four days! Now I have many high priced gen that can't claim that, with the exception of my Breitling B-1 SuperQuartz.

I have a few questions:

1) Can I get bracelet link pins from Ofrei? Will they fit, and if so, which ones? ..just the pins, not the links

2) Is there a recommended rubber strap for the 45.5mm? I know Silix and Andrew have them, but people have commented about the fit not being great. Some have said the Silix rubber is best fitted with larger springbars.

3) If I purchase a black bezel insert, does this bezel just "pop-off" easily?

porweb.jpg

1) Can I get bracelet link pins from Ofrei? Will they fit, and if so, which ones? ..just the pins, not the links

2) Is there a recommended rubber strap for the 45.5mm? I know Silix and Andrew have them, but people have commented about the fit not being great. Some have said the Silix rubber is best fitted with larger springbars.

First off, welcome back. Don't stay away so long next time. :)

1) You'll have to check their site, I think you can but with Bob you can never tell.

2) I don't use one so I'll let one of the other members give some input.

3) No. On the UPO, the pearl is actually part of the bezel, NOT the insert. Some members have reported that their insert is part of the bezel so we may have different versions floating around. Mines was part of the bezel and The Zigmeister had to cut it off to put on a gen insert. Ofrei will not sell you just the insert, you have to buy the bezel which comes with the insert and the bezel cannot be used on the UPO.

See things haven't changed at all since you left.

If it is the UPO as offered by Andrew and Joshua etc... - then their new rubbe strap is the best version to go for. I have heard very good things about this strap, having a much more genuine feel to it than the other versions. If you have the Silix 'UPO' you will need to use his strap.

I was told that this UPO came from Andrew...lug holes seem very far down the lug. I was also just thinking about replacing the Orange bezel insert with a REP Black insert, so the size would be the same. I hadn't heard about the pip issue.

You will neen the strap from Andrew as the lug holes are in a different position between the silix version and the UPO, I have a UPO bracelet on a Silix PO and you would not belive the work to elongate the end links to get it to fit, if you get the silix strap then you risk the end parts rotating up out of the lugs unless you youse 2mm sprig bars and they are real hard to get through the rubber.

It's a great watch, isn't it? Mine has hardly left my wrist since I got it, I actually sold all of my lesser-quality watches. I think mine is about 60 seconds fast since Leap Year Day, I know cause that's the last time I unscrewed the crown.

As far as mods go, I'm going with a double AR coating and Silix dial.

porweb.jpg

The Silix strap was the only option for a while, but I was never happy with mine; the bracelet is an order of magnitude nicer. Here's the thread discussing the new version.

About the bezel insert--to my eyes this is the biggest "tell" on the UPO. It's a real shame that it's such a tricky mod, but to me it would be worth it. Hopefully someone has photos of a dissasembled UPO bezel insert?