When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How is the PVD on Black Magic?

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

Well I've been thinking about getting a Black Magic HBB to go with my SS/PVD and RG/Ceramic that I already own but I am worried about the PVD coated case.

I am right now waiting for delivery of Angus' Polished Ceramic for my SS/PVD Hublot that started it's life as a Lite version and was AR coated by k2222. Even though the matt look of PVD bezel is not bad I had to order a ceramic bezel becuse the PVD coating started to wear off the bezel - in several points located at the edge of the bezel where it starts to be knurled on the side...

So does it mean the PVD wears off fast from the Black Magic case too? What I would worry about most is the lug area - even though I am anal about my reps and take extreme care I can see some scratches in this area on both of my Hublots....

Also scratches would look stupid on a watch that is supposed to be scratch-proof thanks to ceramic....

What's your experience with PVD on that watch?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sql_pl

You know it is not really THAT noticeable but I am pretty anal and I see it and it bothers me. There is no wear on a flat surface of the bezel, only at the edge between top flat part and a knurled side. I have myw atch for like 3 months now and it has 3-4 places showing a little little bit of steel from under the PVD.

Oh and you have to be careful with PVD bezel as it is amazingly sharp. I was wondering how it's possible that half of my t-shirts have holes in them in front... it turned out when I clean the lug area with a t-shirt the bezel is so sharp it cuts the t-shirt.... :) :)

Guest Sql_pl

BTW it is also worth mentioning that I've tried a rage attack with a screwdriver and every sharp object that was at hand at the cermic bezel of my rose gold / ceramic HBB and it was impossible to scratch it. It is just amazing.

Guest avitt
BTW it is also worth mentioning that I've tried a rage attack with a screwdriver and every sharp object that was at hand at the cermic bezel of my rose gold / ceramic HBB and it was impossible to scratch it. It is just amazing.

What if you had scratched it? You'd be bummed...

But seriously....sell it to me =)