When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just in....sort of a replica

predfan2001

Just is today is the British SBS military watch...I'm gonna call it a rep. but I guess it is an unbranded "Omega'ish" military style watch I picked up off of eBay via Hong Kong. I call it a rep. because the seller has other unbranded military watches that are nothing more than an asian Sub rep with an unbranded dial.

I elected to go with the non-dated 42mm ETA quartz model. I plan on wearing this one through out the summer as a daily beater. The solid stainless case has a nice satin finish with a screw on caseback and a screw down crown. The mineral crystal sits flush in the case, even with the insert. The coin-edged bezel is uni-directional and turns smoothly and tight. The strap that came on it was a black nylon strap but it was too short for me. I popped on my olive 20mm NATO and it feels great.

I would compare the size of this one to the 42.5mm Omega Planet Ocean. It's a little larger than a Submariner. Not too big or heavy...just about right. All and all I think it is a pretty good deal for $60.00.

S6301212.jpg

S6301220.jpg

S6301219.jpg

S6301225.jpg

I bought this rolex knock-off from the same guy- watchesu571- back in October:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILITARY-SUBMARINER-AU...1QQcmdZViewItem

I knew it wasn't a Swiss movement (it's actually a PTS Resources movt- like the DG 2813, etc.) but I was buying it for the case- hoping to luck out and get a TW Best w/ lugholes. The case has lugholes, but it isn't a TW Best- oh well. Haven't figured out what to do with it at this point.

I bought this rolex knock-off from the same guy- watchesu571- back in October:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILITARY-SUBMARINER-AU...1QQcmdZViewItem

I knew it wasn't a Swiss movement (it's actually a PTS Resources movt- like the DG 2813, etc.) but I was buying it for the case- hoping to luck out and get a TW Best w/ lugholes. The case has lugholes, but it isn't a TW Best- oh well. Haven't figured out what to do with it at this point.

I wondered about the case (since it has lugholes). Is it useable at all or just a loose copy of a Sub.? I figured it would be compatable with rep Sub stuff.

Since you can't figure out what to do with it (depending on the size of the dial), I know somebody that needs a case for a DG 2813 and a Tudor dial ;)

S6301209.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

As I recall, the dial was maybe 29mm, but I don't recall what the rehaut ring inner diameter was- maybe 28+mm. A genuine Rolex dial is 27.4mm or so and it is too small for this case. Rep dials are typically 28.5mm.

It's not a bad case, I've thought about reluming the dial, maybe put a gen crown and tube on, trim the cg's and put on a better pearl. It has a mineral/sapphire crystal but no date mag. Make it a military Rolex w/ an unsigned dial!