When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Computer Tech people out there

ajoesmith

I want to try and start a website just for a bit of fun and i would like to set up an open source online merchant system like oscommerce or zen cart

I have tried to get free webshosting from free hostia (got it no probs) and have uploaded the zen cart files by FTP but when i try and install the zen cart software there is a problem. Its not with the Zen cart software but the free web hosting. I need SSL enabled but im not sure how it can be done? there is an option in free hostia but if i try and click enable SSL i get some message saying

"if you intended to use SSL certificates of your own, youll need a different ip address for each one of these SSL certificates"

and then nothing happens

Can anyone help me out?

Is there better free web hosting? with no limitations?

Any help is appreciated, im very new to this (i.e. 2 hours ago) and have no clue what im doing but learning bit by bit

Cheers

Don't waste your time with free hosting when you are working with databases would be my suggestion. It will take you more time and cause you more frustration than a few dollars a month is worth.

For a SSL certificate you'll need....a SSL certificate. Setting up your own merchant facilities sounds like overkill - using Paypal might be easier.

Here's how to disable the SSL requirement if it's useful:

http://tutorials.zen-cart.com/index.php?article=15

Free ISPs? Sure, but not with SSL.

If you want a system that other people can put money through, you need to stop what you're doing right now and learn. Don't risk other people's money on a cheapskate folly.

Sorry to be harsh, but if you wonder why credit card fraud is so high, it's because some people cut corners on the basic infrastructure.

I install and manage webservers for a living, including several for brands you will know so please listen to what I'm saying: There's a reason good hosting costs.

Hi AJS:

I'd recommend ASmallOrange.com for hosting. It cost $15 a year(I know you want free, but this is as close to free as there is) :)

As for a free e-commerce software, I'd recommend CubeCart and integrate that with Paypal like what others have said. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the responses, as i said i have no clue what im doing, its really just for a bit of fun to se how it all works.

I appreciate the feedback and the responses.

Ill try the link that submariner gave.

Cheers RWG is the best!

Edited by the playful eyes

I have got my hosting and have tried a free ecommerce software called osCommerce. I got in all installed ok but its quite difficult to configure if you have no idea about html so a friend has offered, for free, its his hobby, to set up software called 'typo3' so that its easy for me to edit pages if i need to.

Thanks to all for the help

When its all up and running smoothly ill let you know the address

Cheers