When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Acoustic Guitar advice?

archibald

Been in the market for an acoustic guitar. Played a Martin D-28 for years and sold it when I stopped playing. Now I'm back into it in a half a$$ed got-no-time sort of way and like everybody else I'm looking for the best sound for the least dough. Bought a Takamine G330 on ebay for 85 bucks, and it just aint cutting it. A buddy says I should pick up an "old factory" Yamaha FG150, which seem to sell on ebay for about $300. I recently played a Martin D16GTR @ the store and really like the way it sounds---$900 bucks though. Anyone know how the Yamaha stacks up against the Martin? Harmony Central guys are about split but I trust you guys more anyway.

My personal opinion is that as long as you get something from a reputable manufacturer with a solid top, you are going to get a decent guitar. Yamaha is certainly a good brand, excellent value. I recommend spending the money to get it set up by a good guitar tech, it will make ALL the difference to having it be nice to play. I generally buy used these days, and try in person, and like to buy well-used guitars in good overall structural shape. I prefer having some scratches and dings as it shows that it has been played, and will probably sound better. As long as the neck is straight and the frets are in nice condition, you're pretty much in business and a good setup will have it playing better than new.

get somethign with a straight neck :)

and make sure its tuned to A440 in the store (normal tuning) and make sure the action (height of strings to neck) is low

if the action is low, and all the notes work (no fret buzzing) then get it - cheap or expensive doesn't matter

Thanks for the great advice guys! The short version is you guys are true experts and I followed every bit of it and I think made a pretty good choice.

The long version in case another semi beginner is looking for an acoustic:

Called around and found a little guitar shop that had a '69 model of the Yamaha everybody raves about as the great sleeper "best value on the planet", which I tuned to concert tuning and played a good while. Nice, but nothing that transcended the average to my ears, and nowhere near as nice as either of what would later be my top 3 pics, which were twice as expensive but sounded more than twice as good--a new Taylor 3 something, a new Martin 16GTR and, a used Larrivee D3.

I thought the Taylor played the easiest and had a beautiful bright tone; the Larivee was the most balanced and the loudest by far but was $$150-200 more than the other 2 which were both around $750. Ultimately I decided on the Martin I had originally played for two reasons: although the high end could have been brighter, the bass was very rich and tight, and that suits the style I like (read: unsuccessfully try) to play, which is to try to do bass note "runs" while picking or strumming chords on the top 4 strings. It also buzzed the least when tuned down to open C and drop D, which tend to allow hacks like me sound like we know interesting chords in addition to the standard Mell Bay Volume 1 chords we play 99% of the time!

Thanks for the great advice guys! The short version is you guys are true experts and I followed every bit of it and I think made a pretty good choice.

The long version in case another semi beginner is looking for an acoustic:

Called around and found a little guitar shop that had a '69 model of the Yamaha everybody raves about as the great sleeper "best value on the planet", which I tuned to concert tuning and played a good while. Nice, but nothing that transcended the average to my ears, and nowhere near as nice as either of what would later be my top 3 pics, which were twice as expensive but sounded more than twice as good--a new Taylor 3 something, a new Martin 16GTR and, a used Larrivee D3.

I thought the Taylor played the easiest and had a beautiful bright tone; the Larivee was the most balanced and the loudest by far but was $$150-200 more than the other 2 which were both around $750. Ultimately I decided on the Martin I had originally played for two reasons: although the high end could have been brighter, the bass was very rich and tight, and that suits the style I like (read: unsuccessfully try) to play, which is to try to do bass note "runs" while picking or strumming chords on the top 4 strings. It also buzzed the least when tuned down to open C and drop D, which tend to allow hacks like me sound like we know interesting chords in addition to the standard Mell Bay Volume 1 chords we play 99% of the time!

sweet, hope you enjoy. I love playing guitar. i'm a big Hamer fan

58309881lc5.jpg

I was going to suggest the IBANEZ Acoustic Electric:

It's a great inexpensive acoustic and electric guitar with a tuner built in. Low action, plays great.

I have the AEF18EBK with cool little flames inlayed at the base of the neck...and love it.

AEF18EBK.jpg