When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movements in alpha watches?

llsteve80

what is this thing?

Looks like a venus 75 copy like on the dealer's manual chrono watches, but they don't say anything about fixed 6:00 needle.

Anyone had any of their watches? some look cool. Good beaters. I remember someone using one for parts or practice too.

post-8311-1207819250_thumb.jpg

i own two Alphas, one has a 21j seagull movement with day date 24hour time; modeled after the speedmaster moon. very solid feeling watch, thick domed crystal, the most comfrotable SS band ive ever worn, nice heavy weight behind it. only drawback: the movement needs to go, its erratic looking sweep and looks very cheap with plastic spacer and all and of course it isnt very accurate (at least not out of the box) ...but then again it was only $60 shipped and i think the band is worth at least half that

the other is a homage to the paul newman rolex cosmo. its the same movement in the hand wound 30min chronos frmo the dealers (venus copy 17jewel faux blue screws). 6 oclock needle is 24hour time. you can get the chrono off ebay for $100. thin dome plexi crystal, bad QC dial -markers are a bit off and crooked, lume is barely decent UNDER a UV light...in other words bring a flashlight, chrono resets not perfectly to 0 or 60. movement feels solid tho when winding and the bracelet is more than decent on it. and it looks nice on the wrist. probably wouldnt buy it again tho. for the price id say the movement is a winner and is extremely decent in any chronograph, should bring me years of use unlike the asian 7750.

i posted some pix of both watches, including some movt pics on the watchuseek forums; search and you shall find easily

: )

I think Alphas use the same standard Asian 21J movements as the cheaper reps. The QC is probably a bit "so and so", but I have nothing but good to say about the Asian 21J.

The watch in your picture has the Seagull ST-19 movement (Venus copy).

Alphas are great watches for the money. Just go to the gen forums and see how popular they are.

my seagull 21j is still running 1 year later. i think its a miyota copy. hand winding is a bit stiff and sounds almost like grating. so avoid that. but even after hand winding regularly it still beats on to this day. its not the most accurate time keeper but with a timming machine im sure it could be decent. i think timex autos use seagull movments...theyre not too popular here since i cant seem to find one. i think it may be because theyre not reliable in terms of time keeping and thats no good for something whos purpose is time keeping : ) i guess its good in a pinch, and probably wont break with even minor abuse over a year.