When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Low Profile Case

bertieng

That is the $64k question.

Pictures of it pop up now & then on non-RWG-member websites (as recently happened a month ago). But, so far, these appear to be stolen pictures because the watch that arrives is not the low profile watch pictured on the website. I got mine about 4 years ago from a seller on a UK auction site (cqout), but that seller has not been seen since then

casecomparisons20031.jpg~original.jpg
(My 1st gen 116520 rep case on right, current 3rd gen 116520 case on left)

Delta - Sorry, I cannot remember who it was, but, yes, the watch the other RWG member received looked like a mixture of the worst of all 3 versions of the 116520 reps. It had the pointy-A (DAYTONA) dial that my watch originally came with (which I replaced with a dial from Josh's 116520), thick case & the 2nd gen movement (the most unreliable of all 3 versions) with a fantasy rotor.

I did a quick search to see if I could locate the post with the pictures of the watch that member actually received, but I cannot locate it. I did find the thread that contained sssurfer's original link to watch-ebay.com, which is where he said his correct low profile watch came from (he has the same watch I have, which, like mine, is still running).

The watch-ebay.com site now redirects to another site called idolreplicas.com (now hosted in Panama), but the new site is still using pictures of the 1st gen Daytona that I have (the 1 with the low profile case). Here is the link.

The pictures on idolreplicas show the exact same 1st gen 116520 Daytona rep that sssurfer & I got a few years ago. You can identify these 1st gen reps by the pointed 'A' in Daytona, the construction of the movement/rotor & the shape of the CGs (only these 1st gen low profile cases have the same CGs - narrower than current cases, but with a very thick base that places the crown a bit further away from the case than current rep cases)

This is the same movement & fantasy rotor my watch came with (I replaced the rotor with the rotor on Josh's watch, which looks almost like the gen rotor)

I can also tell this is the low profile case by the way the end links do not fit flush with the bottom of the lugs. The end links were obviously made to fit the thicker profile cases (like the 116509 in the middle picture), because the outer edge of the links stand slightly proud of the plane of the bottom face of the lugs.

If you have not read it yet, you should probably read pages 2 & 3 of this.

12358--1a.jpg~original.jpg

casecomparison0031.jpg~original.jpg

12358--9.jpg~original.jpg

In this case, should the 116509 have a thicker profile case vs the 116520? I am actually having the 116509 rep. Or is it just the endlink lugs area be thicker but still the middle part of the case be low profile for the 116509?

Cheers.

Not exactly. The gen 116509 case is sort of a low profile case (like the 1 on the left) that is shaped like the 1 on the right (thicker below the lugs). Many ADs stock the 116509 & if you are interested in the rep I would do a bit of reconnoitering work before making a purchase so you know what to look for. I have seen 3 rep versions of the 116509, each with a different set of inaccuracies. It is alot easier to select the rep with the least objectionable sins (to you) when you are familiar with the gen & know what to look for when comparing reps.

Guest Sql_pl

You know I am not sure if the low or high profile case makes a big difference when the bezel on reps is so high and thanks to that also rehaut is way too deep....

It's fnny how they never managed to make a deep rehaut submariner when this watch was in need of it and they ended up with deep rehaut Daytona when gen is so shallow.....

Sql_pl said:
You know I am not sure if the low or high profile case makes a big difference when the bezel on reps is so high and thanks to that also rehaut is way too deep....

The rehaut on the low profile rep case is nearly indistinguishable from the rehaut depth on the gen 116520. This is the other benefit to having the low profile case

mirrorlike2013b1.jpg~original.jpg
rolexmercedes0011.jpg~original.jpg

While the rep bezels are slightly taller, only a very select few of the most knowledgeable Daytona WIS's are likely to notice it if the more usual telltale aspects of the watch pass the gen look-alike test (no one outside of RWG has ever noticed the bezel height on any of my Daytonas).

Image161.jpg~original.jpg

Guest Sql_pl

The bezel on my 116520 rep was what bothered me most... I wasn't able to live with it and sold it.

Just look at these pics:

Rep bezel:

bc_cgs40021.jpg

Gen bezel:

daytonawithstand.jpg

I just can't say it is slightly taller... gen is damn flat and that's the magic of it.