When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Proper subdial spacing for Omega, Ebel watches

giorgio

For the watches with tight subdial spacings the 7750 can never be 100% identical. Pretty unfair to complain about it, when there simply isn't a movement to use.

Yeah, it's off on the Omega tricompax models too, but they can be found at near, or under the $200 mark because of it. It's hard to justify almost $400 on a watch that could be spotted as a fake from 30 feet away. They seem to have gotten quite adept at moving subdials around - so why not come up with a new one that they could use for Ebels, Omegas, and other models with a tightly configured tricompax (3,6,9) layout?

I re-read The Zigmeister's "Inside the Best Replica Rolex Daytona" article and took this basic diagram from him:

I wondered why this theory cannot be applied to this situation. They did it with the Daytona (with mixed results - mine is still going strong, knock on wood), We have a Breitling foundation for running seconds at 3:00 (Beltley, Blackbird), talk about an AP ROO with seconds at 12:00. So why not make a good movement that could be used in this, and eventually other movements? Is it just cost? I know that quite a few "sec. @ 6:00" Daytonas were being passed off as Gen when they debuted. But the Chinese know about market saturation - sell it for a lot at the beginning, then slowly drop the price and you will move thousands of units.

Anyway, is there any reason why they can't do something like this? (I'm neither a horologist, nor a mechanical engineer).

Any thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago!

I would love to get a moon speedy or planet ocean chrono but the sub dial spacing always bothered me. It is a shame they don't have a solution like they do for the Daytona.

Imagine how many speedmasters they could sell if they corrected this.

I thought the same thing

But i think its a cost issue, you have the standard 7750 movements 6,9,12, then the 3,6,9 with the module on top. Adding the module isnt difficult.

But to strip a movement and add new gears then its going to take time and cost.

They could get it made specifically for a watch but then that limits the use of that particular movement.

The daytona was a special manufacture but then again its a Daytona and from Rolexx so very popular, worth it!

Sorry to say i dont think we will see it and it also what i wont be buying the new Ebel, a beauty it is but a dead giveaway as a rep from a mile away!