When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 movment

I really want to learn more about the movments inside my watches.

I am practical with my hands and find watch movments fascinating,i am going to buy a cheap asian 7750 to strip down and figure out but i would like some form of reference material to assisit me.

I have seen this cd but it is for an ETA 7750 movment.

My question is how close to the genuine eta movment is the asian copy?

Would this cd help me in learning/disassembling/assembling the movment or am i wasting my money?

MAny thanks Andy

Link

The CD will help...but learning watch movements using one of the most complex movements around is going to lead to disaster. There are a whole pile of tools to get, and there is a learning curve associated with using them. Factor in the small size, complexity, an new tools, you are bound to lose something and A7750 repacement parts are not really available.

Start with a simple movement based on the Timezone watch school series...and then move up from there. The TZ series should be available from the same member.

Your best option is to take the Time Zone course, parts 1 and 2. Once your done the course, practice and practice on many different movements for a few months to build up your skils and then move on. You can get the TZ course, as well as the ETA7750 info from member Offshore here on RWG.

Starting watch repair on a 7750 is not practical or recommended, it is one of the most complex and difficult movements to assemble.

RG

I could not agree more with the previous 2 responses. I have taken both TZ courses & have been dabbling with mechanical watches for over 20 years. Although I have rebuilt components of the 7750, I still do not feel sufficiently skilled to perform a complete teardown & rebuild (and I know some professional watchmakers who refuse to work on them because of their complexity). I have not seen the video & there are certainly people out there with more inherent mechanical skills than I will ever have, but I think you are far more likely to end up with alot of missing, left over or broken parts than you are to end up with a working (or even nearly working) 7750. On the other hand, if you can find a cheap door stop (not working) movement and/or you are willing to risk damaging a working 1, I guess it might make for an interesting learning experience.

I second for the TZ courses.. Just finished the first and ordering the other kit next week. (first one was too easy :p)

I also ordered an A7750 for practicing, but I won't try if before a while.

Contact Offshore for the course material and cd, then order tools and have fun :p