When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I just got my first replica watch...

yellowaudi

Hello...I'm a noob, just got my first replica watch a week ago in the mail and had a few questions about it. Love lurking the forums and have been reading on and off for a few late nights now...I've searched around but never really found definitive answers to these simple questions though...maybe someone can quickly enlighten me. I apologize in advance if this is awkwardly simple conversation compared to the daily discussion here.

I purchased the Rolex Submariner TwoTone Blue/Gold 14k wrapped from TrustyTime (I know it's a "noob-attracter" watch from reading the reviews here) and I'm curious to know a few things about the overall quality about it. It claims to be the "Swiss ETA 2836-2 Automatic" movement.

- Can I trust this watch to be waterproof or even water resistant? What's the best way to keep this watch looking good (cleaning advice)?

- Never seeing a real Submariner up close, how does the movement compare to the real deal? I can't seem to count the ticks per second, but it seems slightly 'jerky' from a distance, likely between 5 to 6 ticks per second mark. Is that similar to the real deal, or do real Rolexes appear to not tick up close, unlike this replica? It still looks good, just doesn't seem 100 percent smooth. I couldn't find much online, but dug up that modern Subs have 8 ticks per second...how legit does my rep's sweep look compared to the rest?

- Is there any major differences between this rep and the real one? I'm not the type to act like it's real...I'm just curious (I told my friends how excited I was to see how the quality turned out on this, and we're all impressed)

- Is it really sapphire? I find that hard to believe :/

Overall quality on the watch has been excellent however...I love the watch, and now I want to get a simple silver/black noobmariner for daily wear! :) The gold is getting a little scratched up already as to be expected, and the black ink serial has worn off in a week and some's wear, but otherwise so far so good...I hear the serial wears off the real ones fast anyhow.

Edited by yellowaudi

- Can I trust this watch to be waterproof or even water resistant? What's the best way to keep this watch looking good (cleaning advice)?

The answer is "maybe" - it's not difficult to make a watch water resistant enough to handle the shower, washing the car, swimming in the pool. You just need to make sure the seals are lubed and the case is tight.

- Never seeing a real Submariner up close, how does the movement compare to the real deal? I can't seem to count the ticks per second, but it seems slightly 'jerky' from a distance, likely between 5 to 6 ticks per second mark. Is that similar to the real deal, or do real Rolexes appear to not tick up close, unlike this replica? It still looks good, just doesn't seem 100 percent smooth. I couldn't find much online, but dug up that modern Subs have 8 ticks per second...how legit does my rep's sweep look compared to the rest?

That seems about right - even a gen movement is jerky if you focus on it enough. The 2836 runs at over 28000 bph iirc.

- Is there any major differences between this rep and the real one? I'm not the type to act like it's real...I'm just curious (I told my friends how excited I was to see how the quality turned out on this, and we're all impressed)

Without seeing pictures it's hard to tell - the quality of modern reps is usually very good. Misshapen crown guards and bracelet quality can be issues.

- Is it really sapphire? I find that hard to believe :/

It is almost certainly sapphire. Hold the watch face up to your nose; if it feels cold, it's sapphire. Sapphire crystal isn't expensive these days. Many lauded features of expensive watches are just marketing. For example the steel used in genuine Rolexes is twice the price of standard 316L steel. Impressive? Not really, it just means a gen has about

Thanks for the quick response. So I guess I can trust this in the shower and washing the car?

Also, suggestion on cleaning it safely?

You can trust it....AFTER it is pressure tested!

Prior to that, you are just taking a punt....no one knows what level of waterproofness (if that's a word) any watch, especially a rep has... until it is verified tested!

Cleaning it safely?.....Anything dry :p

Offshore

Offshore is exactly correct.

Cleaning gold plated or tree lined or whatever marketing hype the seller uses to describe his wonderful 'gold' reps is always a bit tricky because anything abrasive or corrosive (like skin oil) will eventually wear away the gold. Safest way to clean it is with a clean, dry microfiber cloth made especially for cleaning gold. You can get these online or from many hardware or home stores. If you are careful, a very light spray of Windex (glass cleaner) & a soft terry cloth or VIVA paper towel should also work.

Excellent advice so far, also, I'm not sure I'd wash my car wearing such a beautiful watch, could get all scratched up, especially the gold plate.

Excellent advice so far, also, I'm not sure I'd wash my car wearing such a beautiful watch, could get all scratched up, especially the gold plate.

Yeah I agree, I was just being hypothetical...that and a little embarrassed to ask if it was ok to wear it in the shower...I'm compulsive about never taking it off unless needed...haha. :rolleyes:

-post a few pictures of the watch, we like that a lot around here. :D

-take it to "fast fix" or one of those jewlery/watch repair stores in the mall and have them give it a waterproof test ($10-$20). Ask them if they will lube the seals for you, possibly on the house, since your paying for the test.

-make sure the caseback is tight. Many arrive loose. = NOT waterproof!

-Be careful with the threads when screwing the crown. Put a TINY dash of silicon, or even WD40 (like half a drop!) on a cotton swab and sweep clean the threads of the crown tube, it will probably be filthy and have metal filings in it.

- (like TT said..) Dont worry about the sticker. They wear off. It's not a "tell", just yank the thing off.

-the polished gold is going to get scratched a bit, theres nothing you can do about it. I like your idea of getting a SS newb to switch on and off with, probably a good idea.

welcome, and grats on the new watch- enjoy!

-post a few pictures of the watch, we like that a lot around here. :D

-take it to "fast fix" or one of those jewlery/watch repair stores in the mall and have them give it a waterproof test ($10-$20). Ask them if they will lube the seals for you, possibly on the house, since your paying for the test.

-make sure the caseback is tight. Many arrive loose. = NOT waterproof!

-Be careful with the threads when screwing the crown. Put a TINY dash of silicon, or even WD40 (like half a drop!) on a cotton swab and sweep clean the threads of the crown tube, it will probably be filthy and have metal filings in it.

- (like TT said..) Dont worry about the sticker. They wear off. It's not a "tell", just yank the thing off.

-the polished gold is going to get scratched a bit, theres nothing you can do about it. I like your idea of getting a SS newb to switch on and off with, probably a good idea.

welcome, and grats on the new watch- enjoy!

thanks! i will put pics up tommorrow or over the weekend for sure.

the movements on these watches tend to be hit and miss. I have identical "swiss" movements from the same dealer in different watches and some are jerky as hell and others are super smooth. If you want to make yourself feel better check out some gen rolex vids on youtube.. not exactly the smoothest movements and pretty close to the reps.

the movements on these watches tend to be hit and miss. I have identical "swiss" movements from the same dealer in different watches and some are jerky as hell and others are super smooth. If you want to make yourself feel better check out some gen rolex vids on youtube.. not exactly the smoothest movements and pretty close to the reps.

Yeah, mine is pretty close to a gen from what I can tell...couldn't find a great vid though, everything was blurry as hell. Speaking of which, I tried to take pics today, and couldn't get anything worthwhile out of it, my cheapo digicam doesn't have any presets or manual focus :/