When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre Daytona on ebay - take a look

surpur

Take a look at this watch. The inside caseback looks like somebody punched those letters one by one, so uneven. The bridge on the movement is probably new, so it could be any valjoux 72 movement. Don't know about the rest but it looks Franken to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=016

That watch is genuine.

The things that I like about it are the color of the gears, the Breguet balance, look at the 72B under the balance wheel, ROW on the balance bridge for Rolex Works, pushers are assymetrical (slightly), engravings at 6 and 12 look perfect. The dial pic isn't the best, but the spacing of the sub dials looks good, lume is shot (and to be expected on a 45 year old watch), and the bracelet is fine from what I can see of it.

And the seller is excellent. Just wish I could justify spending $28K on a watch, cause it's a beaut.

That watch is genuine.

The things that I like about it are the color of the gears, the Breguet balance, look at the 72B under the balance wheel, ROW on the balance bridge for Rolex Works, pushers are assymetrical (slightly), engravings at 6 and 12 look perfect. The dial pic isn't the best, but the spacing of the sub dials looks good, lume is shot (and to be expected on a 45 year old watch), and the bracelet is fine from what I can see of it.

And the seller is excellent. Just wish I could justify spending $28K on a watch, cause it's a beaut.

What about the really poor looking case back inscription? I never saw anything so bad. You can buy a Vietnamese assymetrical rep case for the v72 and Rolex bridges on one of those auction sites like youbuyit or whatever its called. You can take any 72b movement and add those bridges. I would not bet on this being real - not for 28k.

Don't get hung up on the caseback. In 1964, Rolex put stuff together a little differently than they do today- heck the whole world was different and machining was no where near what it is today. The case back was hand stamped.

There is no doubt that you can buy parts and build a 6238- I'm in the process of doing it myself right now. And as you do that maybe you pick up a book like "Rolex Daytona, a legend is born" by Pergola, Mazzariol, & Dosso. This is a great reference for the 6238 thru the 6265. Another site you could check is www.doubleredseadweller.com and check out the Daytona section- it will explain some of the keys to look for in determining if a movement is legitimate or put together.

You might check with freddy333 if you're still unconvinced, but this watch is genuine and those pictures of the movement are exactly what you are looking for in a 6238.