When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Major Problems with BCE gold plating

fotoman

I am writing because i am really upset with my latest purchase. I am also writing so no one else buys this rep and asks the right questions before they get theres. I think a dealer should let you know if a supplier of a certain watch has a history of problems and we could avoid the aftermath of these issues.

This is a watch offered by king- I did not get it from king, but i used king's photos as a reference. To their credit it does not appear Perfect clones offers this model. As far as i know there is only 1 maker with this dial style.

The case, plating on the case and crown and pushers seems ok. The dial is great, AR is par for the course for this model BUT BUT BUT The 2 tone bracelet is COMPLETE CRAP.

First of all, it can not compare to the Graphite colored model i got last year. I will show you the plating issues, but, i can't show you that it is thinner, lighter and more fragile and fake feeling. It reminds me of a newbmariner bracelet - except breitlings are supposed to be way heavier.

In addition to the whacky plating, the bracelet (UNDER THE SHRINK WRAP) was heavily scratched.

my dealer said that this model was not "made by the HBB maker" and was inferior after i brought up the issues. - I'm not revealing my dealer at this time as i believe we'll work this out - this thread is really about warning other folks about this model.

WHat really kills me is this model is the same price as the other BCEs which are apparently made by the HBB maker - I could accept this kind of crap on a 100 rep, but on a 300 REP! no freaking way

here you go

scratched braclet

scratchedbraceletru5.jpg

plating not only doesn't go on the sides - but it doesn't even go all the way around the top and bottom - AND THIS IS AN END LINK VISABLE while wearing the watch!'

goldxs4.jpg

i have never really complained about a rep - and thats even when getting getting the wrong model sent, wrong dial color, wrong bezel color - ect ect - totally wrong watch :) well, ok, i guess i complained on the TWP issues. But, aside from that - i have never really been upset with the watch quality till now.

this is the model - again King WAS NOT my dealer on this

http://www.kingshowbox.com/gallery.php?id=596

and i was charged more than her asking price, which i was happy to do in order to deal with someone with a working knowledge of the English language.

Hopefully soon i will be able to report a positive ending and an unveiling to my Breitling Chronowind/Crossmat franken :)

I think the BCE looks good on a strap too though... you may try getting a strap for it and be pleasantly surprised.

Yes, Chinese gold has been and always will be a great big joke at everybody's expense. Only buy 14K "wrap" options (unavail for this model) and stay far, far away from the junk 18K plate...

I think the BCE looks good on a strap too though... you may try getting a strap for it and be pleasantly surprised.

Yes, Chinese gold has been and always will be a great big joke at everybody's expense. Only buy 14K "wrap" options (unavail for this model) and stay far, far away from the junk 18K plate...

Unfortunately we gold watch fans just have to assume that the 5 micron and, more recently, PVD gold claims are customary white lies. Count the plated watches you've bought that sucked (10+ for me) then the number that blew you away (just the Panerai 190 for me, which I actually believe is thick gold or even PVD plating). Unfortunately I'm to the point where I just assume I'm going to shell out $160 for real 10 micron gold replate.

But that BCE is an embarassment to the dealer for more reasons than the plating...

From river a bit before Christmas

bce1.jpg

My only complain is single sided AR and the pearl which have a green look. (glow more than hands)

Edit: Note there is dust on it.. the finish is very good, I just didn't wipe it before taking the shot :p

Edited by vric

My goodness, that is really bad.

Thanks for the warning, I guess the way to go on the TT BCE is on leather strap a la Homer's recent guess-the-gen post.

Good luck sorting it out, I'd be absolutely livid.

My only complain is single sided AR and the pearl which have a green look. (glow more than hands)

My first BCE had a really green pearl too. My TT is the "ultimate" but the gold seems lighter than on yours - I was hoping to try and score just the bracelet, but I think the risk that the gold doesn't match up isn't worth it now. Thanks for the pic.

i was VERY close to buying that river model

As it relates to a strap - i had the BCE full gold on strap, i also have a steelfish that i had on strap - i really really wanted the TT bracelet, my father has the gen - This was the watch that started me looking for reps almost 7 yrs ago.

i'm quite upset - its a very emotional let down cause i have been looking forward to this for SOOOOO long, i have a gen dial for it - that i WAY overpaid for

yadda yadda - had i known i was getting the dial i would have gotten the river model

by the way i got a GEN blue rubber strap on the ultimate steelfish - WOWOWOWOWOWOW i LOVE!!!!! it :)

its hard to look at any of my watches when comparing the AR - i'm dying to get the chieftang done to the whole collection